Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing an ’09 Sportsman 500 EFI, or an ’09 Sportsman 500 EFI X2, or the 500 EFI touring. The question I have is can a second passenger ride on the 500 safely? I have seen many pics of the 500 with the added seat back, foot pegs, etc., to enable 2 up riding. I won’t be riding 2 up a lot, so I can’t justify spending the extra $$ for the X2, plus according to the specs, if I recall correctly, the X2 is only approx. 4” longer than the regular 500. I am curious as to what others on the forum have done and what your experiences are. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you are going to be riding two up for any length of time I would not even consider a standard 500. Even the most seasoned riders have trouble riding double on a single person machine. The two up machine will give you a better ride and stability with both one or two people on it. The two up machine would be a lot safer. The best way is to test drive both of them with two people on, if possible in trail conditions. This will give you the best idea in how the two perform. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board! And our 800 Touring model was my first ATV and I'm not sorry I went with it so far anyway!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depending on the laws of the state you live in, it may be illegal for two passengers to ride on a standard ATV (like it is in Minnesota). That is why we bought an X2. We opted for the X2 over the Touring because the seating was more comfortable for the passenger on the X2 than on the Touring, and we liked the versatility of being able to convert it to the dump box. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree the X2 is the more versitile machine.

If you are not in a huge hurry, they have an all new 2010 550 X2 that is on the new XP chassis do to start hitting showrooms in september.

I agree two up riding on a single seat machine is dargerouse even for an experinced rider. Its also ilegal in Oklahoma like it is in MN to ride two up on single seat machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts