Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have a friend who has a 2009 500 Sportsman. It has developed a higher RPM miss, or stutter. It sounds like the stutter or rev limiter when in reverse but it does so in neutral or forward. It doesn't sound like a carburetor issue and my guess is it is probably an ignition issue. It starts fine with no throttle, idles smooth as it should and revs or drives up to medium throttle fine.
Any help or ideas on what and where to look are much appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Start with a new spark plug - most high speed misfires are ignition related and 90% are spark plug issues - if it has a Champion plug in it, that's probably the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply Latebird! I saw him yesterday and he had already changed the plug. Replaced with an NGK with no change/improvement. What is the next step ignition wise? I have both a Sportsman 500 and 400 but have never had to deal with any ignition issues.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
OK - did the problem arise suddenly or over time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delay. I didn't see him until today. He says the miss was a gradual thing, not sudden. Since it acts like the reverse rev limiter he is wondering if it could be something to do with that.
Thanks for your help,
Rick

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
If the rev limiter was the cause, just holding the override button would eliminate the problem or just unplug the rev limiter - if it starts and runs with the rev limiter unplugged and still misses, then it probably the coil or spark plug cap causing the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We tried to unplug the rev limiter and it wouldn't start. I don't recall if we tried to unplug it with it already running. Plug cap or coil sounds like it may be the culprit. I can see that a bad plug cap could be causing the spark to "jump" under higher RPM.
Is there a place online to buy genuine Polaris parts at a reasonable price? I haven't tried to shop any.
Thanks again for the help,
Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Latebird! We're in search for a coil/wire replacement. It sounds to me you've put us on the right track.
Thanks again,
Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts