Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal I rolled my 2009 500ho 770 something miles last weekend and broke my frame so thinking of trying to salvage out the motor and tranny and other bits and pieces and was wondering what the motor and tranny are worth any ideas?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's really too bad to fix it broke frame under seat and where swaybar attached so just get what I can to put torward a new one

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I see 500 ho motors go form 500-1500 depending on year and mileage and what all is on them. If you can have it running for someone that will be the selling point for more money. Otherwise they are just gambling on the word of a guy they don't know, that wants to sell them something, that he can't prove works like it should, for more than they want to pay.

Trans I see most in the 200-400 range. Probable a lot of other little stuff you can sell too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info I did take a short video of it running before I started tear down

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Was the ATV in top condition or rode wet and put up wet? If it is the former look around for a blown one of same model and year. See if you can find someone who parts out Polaris ATV's in your area because things like tires, frames and skin often cost too much to box and ship at a profit. I got 2 complete sets of older but usable tires mounted on rims for $60 from a junker near me just because he wanted them out of his parts storage limited space. These folks have to move the odd parts or sell as scrap metal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was worked hard chase cattle build fence etc. as it was on my farm. But not abused and fluids were changed on time and serviced

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you could not find a low cost used frame and t\do the change over in your shop area I think you are on the right track to part it out. If it does not smoke most any five year old engine will bring $1000 in many markets it seems from looking at Ebay, Craigslist, etc.

You can promote it as a work bike that has not been swimming, creek riding, etc if that is the case. We picked up the second 2002 Magnum with a blown engine (will start and idle fine I heard but was told it will knock and die if put into gear after blowing an oil line). Our running 2002 came off a farm and has its wear points but this second one came off of a chicken farm and wear wise looks like new.

Since it is a work machine I expect parting it out and move on is best so you have a good machine when you need it. You may be able to sell it as a unit if you found someone like me with a 16 year old looking for a parts machine. Test the waters and see what hits you get in your area. The dealers in your area may have some names of people with like machines that may need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts