Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this site and it is awesome!!!! I am looking at purchasing my first quad and have a question I hope can be answered. The quad is a 2009 550 xp efi, I know the Eps is power steering but is that the only difference? Also does that make a huge difference between the quads? I just want my first purchase to be a good one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yes that is the only difference between the two mechanically. With the eps models you will get aluminum wheels, and painted fenders rather than colored, molded, plastic fenders. I have two 550's myself. One with powersteering and one without. Does eps make the ride more comfortable? Yes. Is it something that I can live without? Yes. Being that this is your first bike I would try to grab a bike with eps if your budget allows. Although it is not mandatory. I would purchase which ever model you came across at a good deal. Needless to say dont pay top dollar for an eps machine if you can find a great deal on a non eps unit. Both machines are great either way.
If you buy a used eps machine make sure that you apply dielectric grease to all of the electrical connectors on the eps unit.
Good luck and be safe.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had an '09 550 XP and last year upgraded to a '12 550XP. There were significant improvements over those three years. Note that '09 was the first model year for that new design.

If this is your first ATV and you really want to make it a good experience I'd probably skip that particular model year of that machine.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Agree with MN Rider. Take a look at the incremental improvements thread. 09 is the year I would avoid with my own money and then if you drill down to the 850 if you wish to have a lot more power, the 12 and newer would be my choice. As for EPS, again in the conditional tense, I would not purchase a quad without EPS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an '09 550 XP and last year upgraded to a '12 550XP. There were significant improvements over those three years. Note that '09 was the first model year for that new design.

If this is your first ATV and you really want to make it a good experience I'd probably skip that particular model year of that machine.
With it being the first year are you saying I have to worry about problems with the Machine? It has 300 miles and the price is really good, I just don't want my first quad to be problematic. I'm not too worried about the yearly improvements of the machine as I won't notice the difference having never rode quads for years. Thx for you help

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
If possible, it may be worthwhile taking the machine to a dealer for a once over before you buy it.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Agree with MN Rider. Take a look at the incremental improvements thread. 09 is the year I would avoid with my own money and then if you drill down to the 850 if you wish to have a lot more power, the 12 and newer would be my choice. As for EPS, again in the conditional tense, I would not purchase a quad without EPS.
Can you name any specific problems with the '09 models? I can't. If you have any good reason to back up your problem with the '09 machine, post them here so the OP will know what to look for when he sees one. To say to avoid the first model year, just because it was the first model year, is a pretty lame reason to spend more money on a newer machine if he can find a nice '09 machine. Maybe there have been some improvements made, but is there anything wrong with the machine itself?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Can you name any specific problems with the '09 models? I can't. If you have any good reason to back up your problem with the '09 machine, post them here so the OP will know what to look for when he sees one. To say to avoid the first model year, just because it was the first model year, is a pretty lame reason to spend more money on a newer machine if he can find a nice '09 machine. Maybe there have been some improvements made, but is there anything wrong with the machine itself?
From decent amount of posts on this forum and others to the point that pinpoint in detail. Recall the conditional tense clarification as well. If it were my money (which we all realize it isn't) I would not purchase the 09 given the anecdotal info, the objective info, and just the incremental improvements thread on this forum alone would sway me somewhat. I'm betting the OP has now read a lot of what I had read as to the question back when I was shopping by now on this treasure trove of information site. Of course price can cure most ills and as we don't know the actual price I can not consider that. It may be a thousand dollars or eight thousand dollars.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
We have 2 09 850 and would buy a 09 fast yes they have made some improvements And to say buy a 12 or new just because of the HO Some say the ho is faster and some say they are not i would put my 09 up again I 2012 ho . What price are you looking at

·
Registered
454 Posts
We have 2 09 850 and would buy a 09 fast yes they have made some improvements And to say buy a 12 or new just because of the HO Some say the ho is faster and some say they are not i would put my 09 up again I 2012 ho . What price are you looking at
He's talking more 550's which only got a couple hp added with one of the incremental improvements. I'm more talking about the non engine stuff. There's a surprising amount of improvement to the xp line over the years since inception. If we start really chatting about the 850 engine then there've been some changes beyond just the extra hp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts