Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to the forum. I just purchased my first polaris today.2009 850 sportsman. I bought it for a very good price due to it having a major engine KNOCK. My question is, is there anybody who sells master overhaul kits for these engines and has anybody on here rebuilt one of these. I am very mechaniclly inclined and done many engines but never one of these. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Travis

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I haven't found any place that has aftermarket engine parts for them yet. Think you're going to be stuck at the dealer unless you have an in at Poo. Get it fixed before it puts a rod through the block.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board! Central WA huh....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was hopeing to steer clear of the stealership but it is what it is. I will photograph my progress keep u posted. I've owned Honda my whole life and could build one in my sleep but. The v twin is a whole new beast for me lol

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Its a paralell twin, not a v.

Just so you know!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol. is it possible to pull the head/cylinder with the engine still in place? my understanding is that these engines have rods similar to a car engine 2 piece? and is there any common issues with rod bearing going out or knocking issues in general. (a nasty knock) Thanks. Travis

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the 850 apart today. Just took the whole engine out and split the cases. Wasn't to bad at all. One of my rod bearings was absolutely gone. Now i just need to know where i can find a service manual. Need the timing and crank balancer reinstall process. Thanks Travis

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I have a manual for the 12 or 13 I could email you. And yes you found out you can just remove the rod and and piston through the bottom like a car engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[email protected].
Im trying to get you guys somephotos of my process but i can't figure out how to post them with my cell phone. Also i REALLY need some info on rod bearing color codes. I looked all over the rods and crank and there is no paint marks! I would like to know if i can undersize my crank and order undersize bearing. I just don't know the actual sizes of the different colored bearings. I can not find actual size difference in the different colors. Any polaris mechanics you guys could referr me to? Thanks guys. Travis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts