Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So...what kind of deal can I expect when going to buy a 2009 SP 850 XP? The MSRP is $8999. Is the economy hurting enough...even for ATV dealers?

Ok...disclaimer...I just want a FAIR deal on this XP. I know exactly how to purchase a car/truck using Invoice price, but for an ATV...NO clue!?!?

All suggestions appreciated!

biz
:confused:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
hey biz,

i can help you here since i have experience doing this

The ATV market is defenitly WAY different the the car market, there are a lot of different factors between each individual dealer that goes into the price of the machine. here are just a handful to at least be aware of

1)the econonmy in that particular area

2)sales volume of that particualr dealer

3)how many of these machines are in stock?

4)how big of a dealership?

5)how long they have had that one particualar XP at their shop

a dealer does get charged freight and set-up fees from polaris, but they really dont NEED to pass this on to you. first place i would start is get the freight and set up fees dropped. it cost a dealer about $8 grand total to get the 850XP on their show room floor. im gonna guess that you probably could get $300-$500 off the the MSRP too. if you get accessories, shoot for 10% to 20% off of all accessories. your dealer will still make money of that too, not much, but some. and finally on labor for any accessories, ask for 50% that cost too. (if you get accessories, i can help give you an idea of what proper labor time is too, since i have installed almost all the accessories in the book at one point or another) the last piece of advice i have is local dealers on compete against each other. call all dealers within 200 miles of you and get an OTD (out-the-door) price for the same machine, then bring these numbers to your local dealer. sounds like you know how to work it from here

a reacap of what i think is fair, and most dealer should be able to do.

1) no freight or set-up fees
2) $300 to $500 off MSRP
3)10%-20% off accessories (probably be more on the 10% side)
4)50% off labor cost on accessories

hope that helps! anymore questions feel free to ask

good luck!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a wealth of information!!! I surely do appreciate you taking the time. I am printing the info...and taking it with me when it is time to pull the trigger.

I don't plan on the purchase until April or May '09...just because I do not want my warranty wasting away while the machine is in the garage waiting for better weather. LOL!

Once again...Thanks! I will update this thread...after or during the purchase negotiations.

biz
;)

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
no prob! keep me updated!!!!

good call on waiting til spring, there will probably be some better incentives from polaris to buy in spring as well. usually is.

enjoy whatever you buy!

having personally spent about 2 hours on an 850 XP i am very jealous of you. (im broke, im a college student) one day i got to ride all of these quads on the same trails

850 XP
550 XP
850 XP Power steering
700 Grizzly Power steering
450 Grizzly
800 Sportsman
500 Sportsman
400 Sportsman
700 King Quad
800 Sportsman X2
500 Sportsman X2
800 Sportsman Touring
500 Sportsman Touring
Can-Am 800 Touring
Honda Foreman

(i think that was all)
by far my most favorite was the 850 XP. it was unreal, i was grinning ear to ear the whole time. and FYI, it was a 0.4 mile loop we were running on, and the XPs made the entire loop in only 2wd and high gear (cant say the same for the honda and grizzly)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is another question before I make the ATV purchase. Hope you folks can help me out.

How should I try to negotiate an Extended warranty? I'm looking for a 3yr at minimum.

Thanks again!

biz
:cool:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
It's all gravy the Ext. warrantys are, so they should be able to cut you a deal or call other local dealers and get a quote on 3 years!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...going to give it a shot! I'll report back... ;)

biz

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Hey did you see what was for sale in the for sale thread?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got a great deal on the 850 XP with power steering. You just have to call around and tell the dealer what you are getting at the other dealer and see what they can do.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a great deal on the 850 XP with power steering. You just have to call around and tell the dealer what you are getting at the other dealer and see what they can do.

YES...that is exactly what I ended up doing. I called Flagstaff, AZ; Colorado Springs, CO; Santa Fe, NM; and right here in ABQ.

I got OTD pricing from each place...and it was Santa Fe that won out! I mean...I even called back the ABQ dealer thinking they could match or even offer a counter offer. I was so wrong...they simply told me..."NO we cannot match that price!" So...I called Santa Fe back...and told them, "SOLD!" YES...it is 60 miles from ABQ, but that is not bad compared to the cost savings. I pick up my new '09 XP 850 next Saturday. :D

biz

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got my non-EPS 850xp from Ritchie Powersports Athens TN. OTD $7500.

EPS model was $500 more. I test rode both and didn't think the 850 needed the EPS. They should have put it on the 800. They have 5 more 2008 800 Sportsmans left for $6200. I saw one 07 there for like $5800, it looked like it had been outside the whole time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I gave 7900 for my 09 850 XP turn key out the door. Individual results may very.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good deal on an awesome quad. Follow break in procedures and change all fluids and give it hell!

·
Registered
10 Posts
we paid 9100. otd last feb was a great dael in denver they both had eps worth the extra money there are still a few left at that price last week great quad

·
Registered
369 Posts
Gave 9000 Even for my 10' 850 EPS last week, and gave 8700 for my 09' 850 EPS almost exactly a year ago.

I could of had the 10' for 8900.00 If I had wanted to drive a couple hours to get it, from the same dealer my 09' came from. For 100 bucks I did not feel it worth it. Last year the same dealer my 10 came from would not budge off the 10K mark so I made the 2 hour drive without a second thought, 1200 bucks was a well worth the time and gas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got my 2009 850 XP LE (used--60-70 hrs) for $7500. It was $10,800 out the door new. Some of my friends think I paid too much, but I don't think so. Besides, I REALLY wanted the nuclear sunset paint and it's not like there's a bunch of them for sale (especially 15 miles from my front door).

·
Registered
176 Posts
woah! we paid like 9600 for our 550xp without eps. and thats base. That was in March-April 09. I first rode an xp 550 in billings MT. Fell in love. It was the first on they got. Them came back here and purchased.

·
Registered
86 Posts
$8000.00 OTD for a new 09' 850XP with EPS and Polaris winch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
rebates for March ??

Anyone here what the rebate will or be for March yet ??
I no the Feb. deal runs out today ..
Think it will go up or down ??
Intrested in the 09s ,, better $$$

1 - 20 of 21 Posts