Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys how is it going? i am new to this forum. i am seriously considering getting an 850 xp. i am looking for solid info on how it rides, power, and the 4wd system, eps, and actually how the extra weight feels while you are riding. i am also wanting to know about the reliability. i have a 2005 kawi brute force 750 right now and i am torn between the 850 xp and the outty 800 xt. i am going to sell the old brute and get something for sure. i am going to get power steering on what ever machine i get. thank you for the info in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board, all the 800 owners that I've heard of, love their new 850!

·
Registered
6 Posts
its just an all around awsome machine... very easy to ride... tons of power, if u got good tires u aint gunna get stuck... and the eps is a god send i love it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the 550 XP which I thinks has more power than i need, So the 850 XP with 70 HP I'm surpised that theres no traction Issue LOL. The suspension is like going from a truck to a Hummer, Such a get ride and you don't even notice that they weigh close to 800 lbs. Especially with EPS. I was going down one of the steepest hills at the OHV park, I had the ADC on and my Cell phone rang and I was able to answer it and have a conversation and this was with one hand on the bars and no brakes. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the XP models only impressed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have to agree with all the above comments. They seem to be a very reliable machine, great ride, and plenty of power. The only issue we have been seeing, as a polaris mechanic, is the front ball joints failing. Not a big deal, but something to consider. They are working on a fix for it, and should be out soon. They just start to click, doesn't much affect the ride, but the noise bothers people. If you really want to get some power out of it put a swap series pipe on it. You'll love it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
imhintingcrazy, from your reply I assume (I hate to do that) that you are a Polaris mechanic. In your reply you state that a problem that you have seen is the front ball joints failing, which is not a big deal. What is the actual failure that you have seen. the times that I have sen a ball joi9nt fail it has allowed the wheel to "drop" in or out, causing a pretty hairy ride/problem. You state that they start to click...which sounds more like the CV joint to me. Can youi be more specific? I am not trying to be a smart***, I am trying to gain a better understanding of the issue you are describing. Additionally, what is the "fix" you are referring to? I have an 09 550 XP and the front A-arm bushings failed at 101 miles. Have you had/seen any other A-arm bushing failures? Also, please advise further on the sawp series pipe. I have not heard of it. Do you know if they make one for the 550?

Thanks,

popo.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ya, I'm curious, will the ball joints slowly go bad or will it leave me 20 miles out in the wilderness?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok, so i am a Polaris Mechanic, have been for a few years. So far what we've run into on the 850's other than the spark plug bull shit, is the lower ball joints. haven't had any wheels fall off or a-arms drop out. What happens is the ball joint wasn't strong enough and the pivot weakens and causes a clicking noise. If you jack the machine up you can push top and bottom of the wheel and you'll see the joint flex. As for the fix, they're working on a ball joint that's heavier to replace the ones that have failed. The swamp series pipe is made by HMF, as far as i know it fits both the 850 and 550, we have only installed on the 850 so far tho. Makes them sound real bad ass and give a definate power boost. Hope I hit all the main points. If i didn't and you need more information just let me know, im more than willing to lend a hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for your resoponse!! It makes sense now... The method you describe is how I found out that my A-arm bushings had failed. My dealer replaced the upper and lower bushings as well as the upper and lower ball joints. I believe that the dealer replaced the joints because of my concerns about the joints....as a lot of good information can be found on this forum from mechanics that participate in this site, as well as other owners. I have only been able to ride my machine for about 50 miles since the work and I checked the bushings the other day and they are still OK. I locked the brakes (front end jacked up) and tried to roatate the wheels forwards and backwards. I saw a little movement that looked like it was coming from the ball joints...but I couldn't tell for sure. I have not heard the clicking noise (yet) that you described. I have about 2 months left on my warranty. Unfortunately the dealer I purchased my machine from didn't diagnose the "clunking" noise when applying the brakes, which was the A-arm bushings, that I diagnosed myself. I am NOT in any way bashing the dealer or any other technicians...just my experience..so it maked me wonder if my dealer has seen or experienced the problem with the ball joints you describe. The technician advised that he has called Polaris about the ball joints and he said he was told that they have not had any issues with them..but obviously you have diagnosed a problem with them and it appears that Polaris has acknowledged the problem. I also wonder if Polaris comes out with updated/stronger ball joints after my warranty runs out will Polaris replace them at no charge to me as this appears to be a fairly commonm problem...at least from what I have read on this site and others.

I am tempted to purchase the HMF pipe for my 550 but I havent found a website that has a sound clip of one on a 550.

Thanks again for your response!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has Polaris actually advised their technicians/mechanics of the ball joint update? If so, is there a projected relaeas date? Again, thanks for your replies...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey guys, thank you very much. i think you just made up my mind. i am actually going down to the dealer today to look at them again. my wife just left to get a dog so maybe the new polaris wont hurt so bad when she gets home. i will give you an update later on.:beerchug:

·
Registered
35 Posts
bf750...the machine rides great. As with any machine there will be some mechanical issues. I rode 3 different brands before I rode the Polaris..the ride was probably the main factor in my purchase. Barring any mechanical issues, I beleive you wil love the ride and the machine.....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
popo thanks for the advise. i don't think i will be able to ride one before i purchase one. i have ridden an 09 kawi brute force 750, 07 can am renegade 800, and an 09 outlander 800xt. so far it is the outlander but after hearing you guys talk it up i am going to go with the polaris. i already ran to the dealer and they were closed for a polaris meeting. From the 22 to the 26. anyone know what kind of meeting they went to. the whole place was closed, even service. i have to work tomorrow so i will be going on monday. again thank you all for the info.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Im betting that they were closed for the 2010 Dealer Meeting. All the new stuff was released today and tomorow. As for the ball joints, i dont know a whole lot yet. When i do i'll make sure to post it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For those of you that love the 850, you can look for a touring model this year. Couple pretty cool new models, and redesigned older models. Even an electric Ranger....

·
Registered
369 Posts
The EPS 850 is an awesome machine, its my favorite quad in the stable. The Outy is a little faster but not enough to really notice out on the trail. The EPS and the extra ground clearace are the number one reasons I like my 850 over my Outlander.

The 2010s are pretty cool, just wish they had offered a 850 EPS X2, that was what I was really wanting. They have a new 550 non EPS X2 and a 850 EPS touring now, I just like the versatilty of the X2 over the touring model and also the power of the 850. I guess maybe next year they will come out with what I am needing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My brother has the 800 otty. The XP rides so much smoother. Wont be a disappointment at all. All kinds of power.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
He must have his Outy setup that way. If I have my Outlander and my 850 both set on there softest suspension settings and both with 26" Bighorns on them, the Outy is just as smooth in the front suspension and maybe a tinny bit smoother then the 850 is with the rear suspension. Not really much difference at all.

All in all though the EPS 850 is the Top quad in my book.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts