Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having issues with 4x4 engagement on my 850XP. I noticed it when plowing my yard. The 4x4 icon will appear but the front tires will not engage when in 4x4 mode, even when the rear tires are spinning. It does seems to partially engage when I put it into ADC mode, but even then, it only engages when I let off the throttle. Just looking at the front diff quickly, I noticed that there was diff fluid leaking from where the wires enter the diff. Any advice on what could be causing this issue, and on how to fix the leak, would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Weird spot for a leak, it's usually the prop shaft seal that goes. ADC only works with throttle off on all ADC machines so that's normal and the fact that it works leads me to think your mechanics are OK (although you won't know for sure without pulling it).

If it's been leaking, have you checked the fluid level?? They don't hold much so even a little loss could cause malfunction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't checked the fluid level because I just noticed the leak. Any suggestions on how to fix the leak? I was planning to change the diff fluid, but I don't want to do it until I've fixed the leaking issue.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I would change the fluid a couple times and see if that fixes your issue. If not you will have to tear it out and open it up and see. And that is a big pain to do. Only holds 7 or 9 oz so it's not much and should be changed much more often than they recommend. Gets dirty fast. As far as the leak goes, it doesn't look like much more than a little seepage, and you can probably clean it up and silicone it. That plug is just silicone onto place in the housing anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would change the fluid a couple times and see if that fixes your issue. If not you will have to tear it out and open it up and see. And that is a big pain to do. Only holds 7 or 9 oz so it's not much and should be changed much more often than they recommend. Gets dirty fast. As far as the leak goes, it doesn't look like much more than a little seepage, and you can probably clean it up and silicone it. That plug is just silicone onto place in the housing anyway.

Thanks! I'll try that. Are there any good alternatives to the Polaris front diff fluid?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Wowzers, that's not good!

Good luck with the rebuild.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know of a good thread for me to reference on the rebuild process? I can't seem to find a good one.

Is there anything that I should upgrade or replace(other than what's broken) while I have it torn apart?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Here is a helpful YouTube video that I used.

Here is a link that should work. It really is not that hard.

Edit: Wow that is way better than a link. LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tore it apart today and this is what I found. Do I need to worry about the scratches inside the housing?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A few more pics.

In the last picture, do I need to be concerned with the nick on the edge go the magnetic coil?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Scratches are no big deal. The coil you will have to test and see if it works properly. Could be the reason it doesn't engage. Also check the little wear pad on the gear backlash adjuster and replace it while you're in there for the $11.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts