Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got an 850XP that they have gotten an average on fuel mileage? We have a Yamaha 700 Grizzly that gets about 20 MPG and our 550XP gets about the same. I'm wondering about the 850XP. I've heard that it gets much less yet what is less. Anyone with some information on mileage that they would like to share then it would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just got my XP850 about 2 months ago, but I haven't gotten an average yet. I'm going to Busco Beach in NC this weekend so I'll try and remember to check all the figures and I'll give you my average on Monday.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh yeah, Welcome!!!!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have read reviews that say the 850XP only gets 1 or 2 mpg less than the 550XP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my buddy have a 03 660 grizzley and we get almost the same... his is a lil better but not by much

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well that's cool. Hey Opex, I know this isn't part of this thread but I see you have a snorkel kit on the way. Where did you get it from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to get an 850 yet don't want to be on trips and always needing fuel. 550 is all I really need then again the extra power is always nice. a couple miles per gallon is not a big thing though.

The Yamaha's both 660 and newer 700 are single cylinders and the 850 being a twin you would think that it would burn a lot more fuel and it weighs an additional 100 or more pounds.

I look forward to hearing what your average is Pinochle767. I also read about people having lots of problems with the 850. I must say that our 550 is great and we rode with a group last weekend and the 550 shined.

O yeah, thanks for the welcome.

John

·
Registered
151 Posts
08 800

mine also only gets 12-13, i never drive by a gas station, doesnt matter how i drive. i have a 96 500 that get 20-22 mpg. almost double.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey gtrider, I've made it back from my trip but I haven't had a chance to fill it back up so I'm not exactly sure what the numbers will be. But I will tell you that we rode for about 8 hours on and off throught the day and I've only used about 3/4 of the tank. I'll fill it up on Wednesday so I'll let you know then what I actually got.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well I finally filled mine back up. I'm hoping I did something wrong because I don't like what I came up with, plus it doesn't sound right.

My trip meter said we rode almost 37 miles the other weekend (which already doesn't sound right, should be more) but I used 3.75 gallons which puts my mileage at under 10 miles a gallon.

I'm hoping my trip meter didn't work right and that my engine is still being broken in because that is some crappy mileage. I'm going to try again this coming sunday and compare with a friends Grizzly for accuracy of my meter and all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info Pinochle. That does not sound good yet if you like the power and if you're not doing a lot of long miles then who really cares. You can always get gas within 50 to 60 miles and you can always carry some with you.

We rode with a group a couple weeks ago 97 miles each day and 50 miles between gas stations. Everyone in the group carried gas yet not sure if anyone needed to use it, most everyone had 500's or bigger.

I will be thinking about the mileage and more before fall. I want to get another machine and just not sure what it will be. I know that I've never been on anything that rides as smooth, steers as easy or takes the mud like my wife's XP550.

John

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah it's real nice and you're right I should always be within relative reach of a gas station except for if I go to WV but there again I can take some with me. But I'm still hoping I did something wrong or the engine just isn't fully broken in because that's not great at all.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Did you ride in low gear very much?Low will drop mpg quite a bit.When are you coming over to ride H&M Pinochle?

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I was going through alot of mud I was in low gear but the majority of the trails I was in high and around the drag strip and motocross course I was in high.

I'm hoping to make a trip up there the weekend of the 7th anf 8th of August coming back on the 9th. I believe we're trying to plan and do the IR trail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I managed to get an FAQ from the dealer with some interesting facts from Polaris.

top speed:
850 = 73mph
550 = 62mph

MPG: @ 30 mph avg speed
850 = 20mpg
550 = 23mpg

Fuel Range:
850 without PS = 100mi
850 w/ PS = 90mi
550 without PS = 125mi
550 w/ PS = 115mi

HP:
850 = 70
550 = 41

·
Registered
221 Posts
Cool that's good to know! Now let's just hope mine actually comes out to that! Hahaha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts