Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my outlaw 450 has less than 3 miles on it. I have barely used it and when i do i just ride slow. I hadn't rode or even turned it on in about 4 months and then
i let my friend ride it and he was only on it for about 15 minutes and he was pushing it back!!! He said that it just shut down and started blowing water/coolant out of the radiator reservoir.
( it was very hot when he brought it back and water was still blowing out of the reservoir.
I have tried to start it and i can get it started and it seems to sound ok but it will not run without gas being pressed. ( will not idle ) and when it is started just a little white smoke comes from the engine area???? I noticed around some of the engine bolts and exhust manifold bolts that there is what looks to be burns. I looked in the radiator and oil caps to see if it was the head gasket but i see no mixture. Does anyone know what this could be?????

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
did you run any fuel stabil through the tank and carb before letting it sit for 4 months?

the carb might be dirty, and if it is stock jetting, they are usually too lean for most places anyway. Which would cause the machine to run way too hot. I wouldnt worry about the coolant smoke coming from the engine too much. it is likely just boiled over coolant still on the motor. If it were coming out the exhaust, I would be more concerned.

The will not idle comment tells me the carb is gummed up from bad fuel. You can try running some seafoam through the tank with the fuel, but likely the carb will have to come off and be cleaned the old fashion way.

thats where i would start. Top off the radiator again too, if you havent already.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blueline15 thanks! i'm going to try what you said ! hopefully it's something as simple as that?! i had a few people tell me it might be the impeller in the water pump got stuck from sitting for 4 months? but i don't see how with it being this new. but i am going to try your advice first. thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
stuck impeller is a possibility, but unlikely at this point. Not something that usually happens from just sitting. My guess is that it is just super lean from a dirty carb, and when they run super lean, the cylinder and exhaust heats up real quick. enough to boil the coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts