Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to All from South Africa
I have recently upgraded my tires on my 2009 Sportsman800 Touring from the old Carlisle 25 x 8 - 12" Fronts and 25 x 10 - 12" Rears to New(Chinese Manufactured) BATT 26 x 9 - 12" FRONTS and 26 x 11 - 12" REARS. All looks fine and dandy but I now sit with a dilemma on the front tires..
The clearance to the left and right when turning the steering seems all OK but on the inside edge(wall) of the tire is where I am getting really stressed.
The small rubber boot that covers the outer Tie-rod end(ball-joint-thingymajingy) and the actual inside wall of the new 9" Wide tire, are almost touching each other (or has only about a matchstick width of space that separates them)...
My Question:
How dangerous is it to just leave it like it is,and what are the chances of the two actually making full contact while trail riding and tearing my brand new fronts to pieces ?
I'm too afraid to take it out for an actual test run at 50Mph and something goes wrong and I get slingshot(ted) over the handlebars and my investment is also ruined in seconds..
I have thought about front wheel (aftermarket)spacers that would give approx 30mm(1.181 Inches) of additional clearance(play) on each side as a solution BUT - this is South Africa, and when it comes to bikes and bike parts we are absolutely a 3rd World Country with NO aftermarket parts available for specifically the POLARIS Brand.
It's not as easy as clicking and ordering online and in 24Hrs the parts are delivered. Furthermore If you do order on Amazon or the like it would take a few weeks and cost me approx 17 x more than what you okes pay in the US !!
Polaris products are imported into SA and sold as the most expensive quads available in our local market.
I took the advice from another forum (as can be seen in the screenshot pic attached, but now I'm doubtful...)
Looking forward to any advice !
Font Parallel Screenshot Document Number

Rectangle Font Circle Brand Number

Glasses Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
It's possible and could become a bad situation fast. You can use washers to space it out. But since the tires are mounted your best bet would be to buy actual wheel spacers. Another alternative is to flip the tie-rod ends and do a realignment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible and could become a bad situation fast. You can use washers to space it out. But since the tires are mounted your best bet would be to buy actual wheel spacers. Another alternative is to flip the tie-rod ends and do a realignment.
Thanx for the advice ! I recon the spacers is what it has to be then... I'd rather be safe than sorry.. Would have to pay through my ears for them to be shipped to South Africa though. Approx 33% of my monthly salary due to the current exchange rate of the South African Rand to the Dollar..and a further couple of weeks in waiting for shipping - Hoping the right parts have been shipped after paying upfront for it via an online merchant..

By flipping the TRE's you mean Upside down ? Makes sense also ... As for re-alignment - there is no trustworthy - trained - qualified establishment in South Africa that can accurately do something like that (to my best knowledge) Not that I actually know exactly what it all entails. I'm just a landscaper who plants lawn and trees for a living...

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
Oh dude you can do it the flip and the alignment is just basic tools. YouTube is a great resource as well as this forum. Tons of guys here to help you through almost everything!

Reactions: GOOSEMAN

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
Hi to All from South Africa
I have recently upgraded my tires on my 2009 Sportsman800 Touring from the old Carlisle 25 x 8 - 12" Fronts and 25 x 10 - 12" Rears to New(Chinese Manufactured) BATT 26 x 9 - 12" FRONTS and 26 x 11 - 12" REARS. All looks fine and dandy but I now sit with a dilemma on the front tires..
The clearance to the left and right when turning the steering seems all OK but on the inside edge(wall) of the tire is where I am getting really stressed.
The small rubber boot that covers the outer Tie-rod end(ball-joint-thingymajingy) and the actual inside wall of the new 9" Wide tire, are almost touching each other (or has only about a matchstick width of space that separates them)...
My Question:
How dangerous is it to just leave it like it is,and what are the chances of the two actually making full contact while trail riding and tearing my brand new fronts to pieces ?
I'm too afraid to take it out for an actual test run at 50Mph and something goes wrong and I get slingshot(ted) over the handlebars and my investment is also ruined in seconds..
I have thought about front wheel (aftermarket)spacers that would give approx 30mm(1.181 Inches) of additional clearance(play) on each side as a solution BUT - this is South Africa, and when it comes to bikes and bike parts we are absolutely a 3rd World Country with NO aftermarket parts available for specifically the POLARIS Brand.
It's not as easy as clicking and ordering online and in 24Hrs the parts are delivered. Furthermore If you do order on Amazon or the like it would take a few weeks and cost me approx 17 x more than what you okes pay in the US !!
Polaris products are imported into SA and sold as the most expensive quads available in our local market.
I took the advice from another forum (as can be seen in the screenshot pic attached, but now I'm doubtful...)
Looking forward to any advice !
View attachment 157908

View attachment 157910

View attachment 157909
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh dude you can do it the flip and the alignment is just basic tools. YouTube is a great resource as well as this forum. Tons of guys here to help you through almost everything!
Thanx for the words of encouragement😊 I will check on Youtube if I can find a link regarding the flip option🤔

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
@GOOSEMAN the flip is simple. Just put the TRE on the bottom of the hub-strut mounting tab. Then all that needs to be done is an alignment. There are tons of vids on that. I prefer the marking of the center of the front tires method. They get marked in the center 180° apart and measured. Then adjust until the front side measurement is 1/8"-1/4" longer then the backside measurement, toed out.

·
Premium Member
12,925 Posts
Oh and just an FYI inflate all the tires to the same psi, 5psi works for me. Also the machine needs to ba on a nice flat level surface, I do the alignments on may cement garage floor.

Reactions: GOOSEMAN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx so much! Will definitely try that and do the alignment as suggested. Looks pretty straight forward from the videos I've watched. Holding thumbs it works 👊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts