• Compression Ratio : 10:1
• Displacement (cc) : 760
• Engine Stroke : 4-Stroke
• Cylinders : 2
• Engine Type : Twin Cylinders

Polaris Sportsman Transmission
• Reverse : Yes
• Primary Drive (Rear Wheel) : Shaft
• Transmission Type : Continuously Variable (CVT)

Polaris Sportsman Weight
• Dry Weight (lbs) : 770
• Towing Capacity (lbs) : 1500

Polaris Sportsman Dimensions
• Height (in) : 48
• Wheelbase (in) : 50.8
• Ground Clearance (in) : 11.3
• Width (in) : 48
• Length (in) : 83

Polaris Sportsman Driveline
• Rear Unlocking Differential : No
• Driveline Type : Selectable 4X2 / 4X4

Polaris Sportsman Capacities
• Fuel Capacity (gal) : 4.1

Polaris Sportsman Front Suspension
• Front Travel (in) : 8.2
• Front Suspension Type : McPherson Strut

Polaris Sportsman Rear Suspension
• Rear Travel (in) : 9.5
• Rear Suspension Type : Independent

Polaris Sportsman Seat Specifications
• Seat Height (in) : 34
• Number Of Seats : 1

Polaris Sportsman Brakes
• Rear Brake Type : Hydraulic Disc
• Front Brake Type : Hydraulic Disc

Polaris Sportsman Tires
• Rear Tire (Full Spec) : 26 X 11-12 PXT
• Front Tire (Full Spec) : 26 X 8-12 PXT

Polaris Sportsman Price
MSRP : $7999
Warranty (Months) : 6

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello try this again
I have a 2009 Polaris sportsman 800. The fuel gauge reads almost empty when tank is full. Pulled pump and sensor out of tank and moved float up and down and fuel gauge moved accordingly. Found out float is absorbing gas which is causing it to sink in the gas tank which is giving a false reading. Call dealer and was told I had to buy complete tank for $502 so I could fix the problem of a $5 part. Why are so many people having the same problem and why are you making the ones that want it fixed right pay an so much when it seems like it is a manufacturer's defect and should be recalled for faulty float.
Looks like I will be wiring mine up like everyone else is doing that doesn't want to taken to the cleaners.
Thank you for your time
Rick Castle

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 2008 has had the same issue since I bought it 3 years ago. I bit the bullet and paid the price to do the tank and whole unit. Finally works. Expensive but works.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the same issue myself.
I did a search here and found a link to a site that sells replace me t floats. It's a tractor shop called DJ supply or something like that and the float is for an Allis Chalmers tractor.
I paid $16 including shipping and just replaced the float.
Works perfectly now.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I installed a new float. I ended up threading the end of the float rod using 4-40 machine thread die. Then double nutted the float on using brass nuts.

I was wondering what others did or used when replacing their floats.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The new float I bought came with a slide on retainer ring. I don't know the technical term but it's a slotted flat washer that is just slightly smaller than the rod and holds on with spring tension.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought my new float from DJS Tractor. It came with a washer, thats all. It was a bit too big for the rod and would not have held anything on. I looked locally for what you are describing,...it is a "push on retainer" nut but could not find one in Stainless. Which is a MUST given the nonavailability of non alcohol fuels regionally. Have to use stainless or brass, otherwise it will rust/corrode eventually, and I don't want to have to do this again given the choice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Were you possibly able to save the retaining washer that was on there? I've had to do that in the past.
If not, you can do as WalterS suggested by threading the rod and putting on a nut.
You might even get lucky and find a self tapping nut.

Remember, there isn't going to be a whole lot of strain on this part. The only outside force will be vibration.
It might even be possible to slip the new washer on and then "crushing" the end of the rod with a pair of really strong vise grips.
It won't take much to keep this from sliding off the end of the rod.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Just fixed the same problem of the float absorbing gas and sinking. I used a replacement float that was for a Ford Model A. I cut off the retaining nut, put on the new float, and bent the rod a little at the end so it wouldn't slide off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That would work well too. as I said earlier, there isn't going to be any stress against this rod holding the float on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts