Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I am working on a 2009 Scrambler 500 at the moment that is in pretty rough shape. It was rolled over and wrecked, and is missing the headlights, indicator lights, brake lights, speedometer (if they even have one), and other various things.

I am trying to diagnose an issue with it where it doesn't get power to anything. For example, with the key switch (brand new) in the on position, I see no voltage at the headlight plug, brake light plug, etc - where I would expect to see voltage. I do get 12v at the solenoid, and 12v at the thin blue "fusible link" wire coming off the solenoid, all the way up to the regulator/rectifier box on the front end of the quad.

I have jumped the solenoid and verified that the motor turns over and the starter is working fine. Just don't really know where to test from here. Is there supposed to be a fuse box in this thing or some main fuse that may have blown?

Also not sure if it is relevant, but it is carbureted, not efi.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
clean the ground wire at battery terminal and at frame - this will fix this symptom 82.3% of the time.
Man, looks like im in the 17.7% where it doesn't fix the issue, haha. Ground wire at the frame (bolted near starter) is fine, cleaned it up real good. And the ground wire at the terminal is clean as well.

How do I test for power at the ignition? I tried just tapping into each wire through the back of the connector and got no reading on any of them.

I also tested the little blue fusible link wire that turns into a red wire, all the way up to the PDM and it has 12V the whole way there. Maybe the PDM is bad..? Idk..I have absolutely no power anywhere at all except for things connected directly to the battery.

·
11,261 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular machine. If I understand correctly, you are getting power to the PDM/controller module but none out the other side?? Sounds like that may be the problem. I'd try to find a service manual to download for any test procedures. You might check to make sure IT is grounded properly too.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Oh yeah, you might try disconnecting the black wire off the RPM limiter as that could cause similar problems on the older machines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts