Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if one of you nice people could point me in the right direction of a how to video on installing a winch and a moose plow mount. I'm assuming mount will be fairly self explanatory. The winch wiring and all that jazz is where I need most help. Thanks

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wiring is pretty straight foward. You have your source which is a positive and negitive cable from the battery to the contactor. On the other side of the contactor will be two wires running to the winch motor, depending on brand are sometimes yellow and blue. The switch will have a few wires, all but one will go to the contactor to control the winch direction, one has to be wired to a 12v positive, normally you can find a accessory wire under the headlight pod that is on with the key. If your winch runs backwards switch the wires on the motor or winch side of the contactor.

The mount should have instructions, once you get it you should be able to see how it goes together. Same with the plow, moose's site should have some basic instructions too

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. In haven't even started disassembling the quad yet. I have found all wires for winch to contactor. The positive and negative terminals are actually in between the winch connectora(blue and yellow wires). As for the keyed source for the switch I have 2 wires under headlight pod. Orange/white wire and then a brown wire.

When I start to put on the winch and start to take apart the quad, will there be wires in there that lead to battery or will I need to wore those myself. I seen a video of a 2012 500 winch installation and I think he said it was pre-wired. Now just wait for my &7 mount to get here.....lol

·
Registered
862 Posts
My 13 500ho was pre wired, not sure about yours. Look for heat shrinked positive wire near the battery, they are tricky to find.

Yep the orange and white is the extra accessory wire and will work great.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Yeah I'm gonna read through the manual and might just have the whole thing prepped waiting for parts. That's awesome about the extra accessory wire. Now let's pray the battery has some pre-wired leads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already got battery out hoping it up right now. While I have it out I'm attaching a battery tender lead up to one of the storage boxes. Oh my god damn was that battery a pain

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ya cramped spaces and heavie guage wire make for a miserable time. Trying to get the nuts started again on the terminals is a joy also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to go rig up some battery leads using 4 gauge wire. Gotta find a good spot to put the solenoid / contactor. Also don't think I'm getting that black battery cover back on lol we'll see

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jesus just putting the battery in took 10 minutes. Lol. No way am I getting battery cover back on. I put about 8 oz's of dielectric grease on terminals. This thing will be strictly for plowing. This quad is more for work I got my Kfx for play.

I need to know where you guys mounted your contacters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Btw the terminals were not bad at all. My terminals were threaded. I know on other small batteries it is usually a bolt and a nut to the terminal which would have sucked!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts