Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of advice; have had three batteries die since buying the ATV new.
Battery 1 original Polaris battery died in 2011. Replaced with non-original type lasted 12 months. Replaced and this one has died.

So I'm thinking that the maybe the voltage rectifier is faulty, why? When runnning voltage is high 14V and so this is probably overcharging the batteries and thus their short life. Could someone advise if I'm on the right track? And where does the voltage rectifier live under speedo?

All help appreciated.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You are on the right track in all of your thinking. You've answered all of your own questions.

High voltage is almost always a faulty regulator and will toast your batteries. And yes, its under the pod on the A frame. Maybe you can find one on eBay as new ones aren't cheap IIRC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Will probably be forced to buy a new one, postage alone from the US to Australia has been quoted on a few that I found on eBay is $US50 plus the cost of the item.....expensive:)

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board! Hey I live across from Victoria....BC lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Just down the road a bit...LOL

Would be a heck of a long way to ride a Polaris you think?

·
Registered
862 Posts
14v is the normal float voltage when running. If its above 14.5 then you might have a problem. See what the voltage is at different rpms and current loads. Have the batteries ever been allowed to go flat? That will take them out in a hurry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
High 14 V

14v is the normal float voltage when running. If its above 14.5 then you might have a problem. See what the voltage is at different rpms and current loads. Have the batteries ever been allowed to go flat? That will take them out in a hurry.
14.8 to 14.9 V drops to 14.7 V with headlights on, but the battery is so dead the bike will not run properly miss-fire and won't rev. Not at all healthy. Plan unfortunately is to buy new battery and rectifier\regulator assesmbly. I travel for work and once or twice the batteries have disharged such that the poor thing needed a pull start, the batteries did recover but I know that no batteries, other than deep cycle, like to be discharged. I'm going to put a battery isolator switch on the machine, since I have to change the battery yet again and partly disassemble it to change the rectifier\regulator. Looked on parts shark $90 plus $44 shipping; boy these things are not cheap; will check locally but in most cases it's RRP plus markup.

Do you know if this is a weakness? I looked on eBay and there are hundreds of rectifier\regulators for Polaris machines on there.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You might want to buy a battery tender. I'm on my 3rd battery in 12 years. If you keep them in top condition they last many years. Also keep an eye on the cell levels. If any of the cells get low top them off so they don't go dry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't afford a battery tender

You're correct batteries should last 5 plus years easily; however I'm convinced that the rectifier \ regulator is not doing it's job and probably wasn't from new!

I'm staying away from any battery where I need to maintain it, going for a sealed unit; once the overcharging issue is sorted out. In the meantime, poor bike will have to wait to be ridden until parts on hand.

Good to hear that your batteries have served you well and appreciate your sense of humour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts