Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked back thru and couldn't find anything on this. Have a 09 Sportsman 500 EFI Touring. The fuel gauge isn't reading right. It can be as full as full can be and it might read 3/4 tank. Could this be a bad float/sending unit? Or a gauge issue? High beam stopped working but I haven't dug into that issue. No big deal because I never use it.lol
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing?? A friend of mine has the same issue with his 08' sportsman 800 Touring. Someone has had to have had this same issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got an 06- fuel gauge does the same. High beam and everything else works fine. After plowing a couple of mornings it showed less than 1/2 tank. Less than 1 gallon can of gas overfilled it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I am pretty sure the gauge just tells you what the sending unit is telling it. Pull the plastics off and pull out the sending unit and make sure everything is still good. You can also move the float while powered on and see if the gauge works properly.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
As mentioned, you have to pull the sending unit and test it. Sometimes it's as simple as the float gets moved and the arm mechanically cannot make it all the way up in the tank, other times it's a failure of the senders electronics. Only way to know is to pull it and test the resistance. Should go from 0-90 ohms if I'm not mistaken.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had the same problem my gauge was flashing but fuel was full, checked everything out still did the same thing. Ordered new pump kit and installed today, fixed the problem now have working gauge. saved old unit incase pump quits have a backup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I checked everything following that link it was a great starting point. The fuel pump on my 08 was just a little different more plastic parts. I found part of the plastic around the sending unit cracked and seems to allow more movement of the float on the unit. It would shift from side to side and lose contact. Think the rough ridding made the cracked piece worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts