Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding the other day I got the message saying HOT ENGINE. I shut down the machine and let it cool for awhile before restarting and took it easy on the way back to the trailer except for a couple of deep holes I just couldn't resist.
When I got home I hooked the fan up to a battery and it worked so I decided to bypass the temp sensor on the radiator and just let the fan run all the time when the key was on. GREAT that worked. So while outriding again the HOT ENGINE light came on the display and the fan was still not working. When you touched the fan you could feel it wanting to move but it would not get going. (And yes the fan as able to be spun freely)

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I plan on ordering the new temp sensor for the radiator this week.

Thanks,
Heff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It's time for a new fan.
You should do a search on here about proper operating temperature. You need to get the temp. up a BIT , SO FORGET THE LEAVING THE FAN ON ALL THE TIME -MOD.
Clean the radiator ,so you can see thru all of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan works though when connected to a battery just fine? So I am really not sure that is the issue and I don't want to have to drop 120$ on that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Check the circuit breaker in the left top of the frame under the seat. It is designed into the harness and has slide on connectors (crappy design in my opinion). They become loose and do not make contact. You can replace it with ring terminals and a 10-32 nut or replace the breaker with and ATO style breaker setup. I had the same exact situation you had and thought it was the fan. It checked fine and another member here pointed me to the breaker. Hope it helps.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/55215-cooling-fan-breaker.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the circuit breaker in the left top of the frame under the seat. It is designed into the harness and has slide on connectors (crappy design in my opinion). They become loose and do not make contact. You can replace it with ring terminals and a 10-32 nut or replace the breaker with and ATO style breaker setup. I had the same exact situation you had and thought it was the fan. It checked fine and another member here pointed me to the breaker. Hope it helps.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/55215-cooling-fan-breaker.html
I will check that out!
But where is it located exactly? When you say left top of the frame under the seat do you mean on the left side of where the battery is?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need to go to the dealer for a fan, buy direct from SPAL USA, they make the fans.

https://webstore.spalusa.com/
That wouldn't be going to the dealer to get a fan for 120$. But it doesn't solve the problem that I do not think the fan is the issue. Even if it was I would not know what fan to order from that site.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I will check that out!
But where is it located exactly? When you say left top of the frame under the seat do you mean on the left side of where the battery is?

Thanks for the help
Pull the seat off on the left side where the back plastic mounts to the frame. Right along the frame inbetween it and the snorkel tube will be a rectangular shaped breaker with two studs sticking out. It will have rubber cover boots on it from the harness that runs along there.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you think that this is the relay? It is brand name shortstop 12v 10 amp. It has the push connectors. Looks a little rusty on the connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And another picture of it

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is the breaker. Here is what i did and haven't had a problem since. Just make sure to use an auto reset breaker. That way if you are in deep water and overload the breaker. It will trip stopping the fan, but reset when the fan is free and continue to run.

The plug I used comes with a cover that I had to Dremel out fit it to fit in and zip tie closed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a million. I'll be replacing the breaker with a 20amp and then I have a new temp sensor coming in this week and the PoPo should be back to good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Only replace with a 10 amp. Most 12 volt circuits are designed to carry 125% of rated capacity. Putting in a larger breaker you could risk melting wires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know you said only replace with a 10 but I read many places that said when they got them replaced shops put in 20s. So here is the finished product. I relocated it for easier access and the fan runs great now. The new radiator temp sensor should be here on Monday and once I have that installed the fan won't run continuous anymore.

Thanks for all the help

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts