Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here not sure exactly where to post. My problem is our 09 Sportsman 500 HO will start and idle, but when you give it throttle it bogs and dies. We've checked the lines and filters all are good. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Does it sit around alot? Could be bad gas or gummed up carb? Have you ever had the carb cleaned?

I think I'd first check the throttle cable free play and if no issue there.... clean the carb and look for intake boot cracks. It's either not getting enough fuel or to much air to bog down usually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
09 sportsman 500 ho

Yes it sat for about a year. My husband cleaned all the lines and drained the fuel put new fuel, and a battery. We use it to run the fence on our farm, so no excessive riding. Do we have to pull the carb to clean it or can we use an additative in the fuel?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
You could try a healthy dose of Seafoam.... but a carb cleaning may be required to solve the issue completely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention, it only stays running as long as the choke is on. Turn choke off it dies.

·
10,378 Posts
Yep, carb needs a good cleaning. Today's funky gas turns to varnish if it sits for more than a couple months without stabilizer and even stabilizer may not prevent it if it sits for a year or longer.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
+3 on the carb cleaning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
carb cleaning

Is there a diagram anywhere that shows the adjuster screws on the carburator? Also there is a tube just laying on the motor with a screw in the end of it, it has a hook on it so I am assuming it is supposed to be hanging. What would this go to?

·
Registered
333 Posts

Does it look like this?? If so, that is the idle adjustment screw for higher or lower rpm at idle..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes that is exactly it. So that is the idle adjuster? By chance do you know where I could get a manual on the carburator to take it off and clean it real good. We did all the suggestions everyone gave us, it runs better but still needs carb removed and cleaned.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts