Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other weekend while riding my atv I had the headlights on and while the four wheeler was at idle and I was using the lights to find some things on the ground they just went out and won't turn back on.

I have checked the fuses under the front rack and they are all good. I have not checked to see if the brake light was working still but none of the headlights work.

Does anyone have an idea at to what the problem may be?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Use contact spray (electrical) even few times. Remove and insert fuses when the ignition is off. I had this lately. It hapens, that fuses are ok, but no current flows through the contacts.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Although odd (both at exact same time), have you checked the bulbs themselves? Or as mentioned try a little contact cleaner on the contacts..... could also be the switch on the handle bars, wiring, or ??? Only thing to do is work them down by process of illumination.... get a multi-meter or test light and see if you have power at different locations with the headlight switch in the on position.

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
7,174 Posts
Although odd (both at exact same time), have you checked the bulbs themselves? Or as mentioned try a little contact cleaner on the contacts..... could also be the switch on the handle bars, wiring, or ??? Only thing to do is work them down by process of illumination.... get a multi-meter or test light and see if you have power at different locations with the headlight switch in the on position.

Good Luck!
Pun intended???

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Good Luck!
Pun intended???
Maybe.... Surprised anyone caught that! :D

Get it...... by process of illumination.... not elimination! :rofl:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I am going to be with the machine this weekend and I will try to clean the contacts and see what happens.

I have plugged in and unplugged the fuses many times. I do a lot of water riding but usually I just have to replace a fuse if they get wet.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I am going to be with the machine this weekend and I will try to clean the contacts and see what happens.

I have plugged in and unplugged the fuses many times. I do a lot of water riding but usually I just have to replace a fuse if they get wet.
If you play in the water a lot don't forget to put dielectric grease on your electrical connections.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If you play in the water a lot don't forget to put dielectric grease on your electrical connections.
I'll make sure to do that. Putting a lot of hours into the Polaris this weekend. Got to figure out why my dang clutch cover is leaking.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

I'll make sure to do that. Putting a lot of hours into the Polaris this weekend. Got to figure out why my dang clutch cover is leaking.
As stated..... dielectric grease all wire plugs / connectors and spark plug boot!

Where you in water when the headlights quit? I once blew (shattered) a bulb when water got in the headlight housing..... that may not be the issue here, but something to think about.

As for the clutch cover leaking..... more than likely it's the clutch cover backing plate. Remove the clutch cover, pull the clutches and remove backing plate. Silicone the back side of the plate (between plate and engine around the clutch shafts holes) and reinstall.... that will likely take care of it, if not silicone the cover too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As stated..... dielectric grease all wire plugs / connectors and spark plug boot!

Where you in water when the headlights quit? I once blew (shattered) a bulb when water got in the headlight housing..... that may not be the issue here, but something to think about.

As for the clutch cover leaking..... more than likely it's the clutch cover backing plate. Remove the clutch cover, pull the clutches and remove backing plate. Silicone the back side of the plate (between plate and engine around the clutch shafts holes) and reinstall.... that will likely take care of it, if not silicone the cover too.
The bulbs were all fine. I was not in the water when they quit.

Does anyone know if there is anything but a fuse that provides power to the lights? Circuit breaker or something?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Good Luck!
Pun intended???
Maybe.... Surprised anyone caught that! :D

Get it...... by process of illumination.... not elimination! :rofl:
Matt...that was an easy one....jumped right off of the page...lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Similar symptoms on my machine HELP!!

Help lol... I'm going crazy I recently picked up a 2009 sportsman 500 ho and it has no headlights or tail lights. I have a wiring diagram and have ripped the machine apart.. I don't see any issues in the harnesses. I purchased another switch already and that made no difference... What I did discover tho is that if I jump 12 volts from pin "f" (wire 32) on the switch harness over to pin "e" of the same harness all the lights work as they should.... however this is not how it is supposed to be wired... the machine does run, and all the gauges and AWD work just fine... I Have found similar symptoms online, but every time i do the conversation ends with no solution just like this one did that I am responding too... any help would be greatly appreciated.. thank you...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Check fuses. Even if they are good, it is possible there is no voltage. Take them out and clean contacts.

·
Premium Member
12,586 Posts
Do you have 12vdc at the switch? I would start with that and if not work my way back to the source.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts