Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
2009 Polaris Sportsman 550XP 65 hours on the machine, only owner purchased new in 09. Primary use is snow plowing.
I have been having some issues with the selector switch on my 550xp, The issue is as follows,
with the selector switch in 2 wheel drive, everything works as normal.
switching to 4x4 the AWD image in the visual display flashes the AWD image then it goes off and the 4x4 is not engaged, I notice this every time I try to engage 4x4 for plowing, if I select the ADC it will switch into 4x4 and AWD image is displayed, and the front wheels are engaged. If I switch back to the 4x4 the AWD logo on the dash goes away and the front wheels disengage. I have tried a few times to switch back and forth from ADC to 4x4 and it will engage in ADC and disengage in 4x4.

Now having said that, if I put the slightest amount of pressure on the switch while it is in the 4x4 position and move it the slightest amount left or right, I mean as little as .020 of an inch, the AWD image will come on and the 4x4 will be engaged.

the last storm we had, I had to plow the driveway in the ADC mode, which I assume is not the greatest this for this machine

My question to all of you knowledgeable people on here is, is there a way of cleaning this contact in the switch? could it be as simple of an issue as a dirty contact in the 4x4 position. Or are these switches known to go bad,

Any support I can receive from all of you will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading my post..

Happy Holidays to you all.

Paul

·
9,180 Posts
Sounds like just a corroded or worn switch from your description. You might be able to take it apart and fix it but there's no way to know till you get inside. New on ebay is around $100. Used starting around $20.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like just a corroded or worn switch from your description. You might be able to take it apart and fix it but there's no way to know till you get inside. New on ebay is around $100. Used starting around $20.
Let us know what you find.
Thank You for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts