Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently went to Hatfield McCoy trails for a week...
On last day, last trail, last hill, my quad started making a whining noise that is relevent to engine RPM, and the unit is idling very rough and seems to have lost power, and smoothness. This started after a long, steep decent, down a trail. I thought perhaps it is the drive belt, or output shaft bearing, or clutch bearing, dealer tech thought it may be the harmonic balancer has moved.
What do you guys think??? Dealer says if it is the balancer, the drive belt, and pullys must be removed, as well as the transmission, to get at the balancer wheel that has moved and now is no longer in the balanced position, and that's a $1200 repair due to the hours of wrenching needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mudslinger, what did you find out because my 550xp just got diagnosed with a bad trans output shaft bearing from an annoying tranny whine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2009 and I have two of them. Hopefully my other machine has better luck. The cost of replacing the bearing and shaft seal is ...OUCH...$787! They said 7-8 hours of labor and $70 in parts. Not sure what exactly caused it to go bad as it happened pretty much overnight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mudslinger, what did you find out because my 550xp just got diagnosed with a bad trans output shaft bearing from an annoying tranny whine.
well, my dealer was spot on the diagnosis...My bolt that holds the harmonic balancer wheel on the end of the shaft had come loose, allowing the balancer wheel to back out and rub against the gear casing. No warning display was on the instrument cluster. Just a loss of power, and a whiney noise. It happened quickly, one hill, fine, and then a strange noise. The fix... remove rear wheels, belt cover, belt, clutch, flywheel, transmission, replace bolt with locktite, new gear casing, and put it all back together. Took many hours of wrenching, even for a seasoned mechanic, and the grand total, PARTS AND LABOR= $1400!!! Guess the $1410 Polaris wants for a 5 year extended warranty was not that bad after all...... hope this helps, Midnight Mudslinger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! that repair of yours sounds painful. I guess I got off a little easier than you. My dealer service rep told me that they just replaced the bearing on another machine last week. Wonder if it's a global issue or not...I'll be changing the trans fluid in my other 550XP ASAP. Glad to hear that you still got your trip in at Hatfield and McCoy. Been wanting to go there for years. I ride quite a bit in Ohio in Wayne Nat Forest trail system specifically at Nelsonville on Door run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts