Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was riding Saturday night and the sportsman just stopped pulling... like it’s in neutral... Any suggestions and part directions will be greatly appreciated... thanks

·
10,591 Posts
Yep, drain the water out of the clutch cover and let it run in neutral for a little while to dry out... Or... replace the broken belt if it wasn't in water.
There's a red drain plug on the lower rearward part of the cover just forward of the left rear tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn’t in the water when it stopped... hasn’t been in water maybe a mudhole from time to time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did start it up and when I push the throttle I seen smoke and the smell of hot belt

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
Pull the cover to inspect the belt its most likely toast.

·
10,591 Posts
Well, the machine is 11 or 12 years old and you apparently have a smoked belt. The clutches need removed, disassembled, cleaned, inspected and any worn parts replaced. Its just a regular maintenance item like changing oil, replacing brake pads or changing the air filter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just changed my axels that were busted. 1 of the 4 was loose in the front diff. Ran my finger in and there was no teeth to line the axel up with other side was fine. not sure what the parts are called or the extent of the repair.

·
10,591 Posts
I have just changed my axels that were busted. 1 of the 4 was loose in the front diff. Ran my finger in and there was no teeth to line the axel up with other side was fine. not sure what the parts are called or the extent of the repair.
Output hubs. Its according to the model as to how hard or expensive to repair.

·
10,591 Posts
What machine are we talking about?
Yes, there are rebuild kits.
You need to check parts prices first as you can often buy a good used front gearcase cheaper than the parts to fix yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts