Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2009 800 h.o. efi sportsman. hit the key and it starts right up for about half a second. then cranks and cranks with barely a sputter. finally got it started and ran fine then did it again the next day, even harder to start this time. cleaned the tank out and found a bunch of cloudy fuel with little white looking things floating all around. bad fuel or varnish causing this??? got it started today without much problem but ran rough at idle for a few seconds and didnt respond well to opening the throttle until it warmed up a little. anyone out there can help i sure would appreciate it. :boggled:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Code 42 is either engine coolant temp low voltage or high voltage. That's what my manual says. You may want to change the spark plug & run some non ethanol fuel in it like super unleaded. Just a suggestion. Try running some sea foam through it as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

after learning how to read the code i later found it to be a code 61, which i guess is a "no code stored" code. so im leaning toward fuel quality and or spark plugs. i also drained the old fuel and replace it with sunoco 93 octane along with a bit more water remover. possibly fuel pressure???? frustrating. just started it again and started right up!!!!! hhhhmmmmm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks corbett, i drained and replace the fuel with sunoco 93. actually seeming to run better. ill try the sea foam and spark plugs. i didnt realize youy have to take the plastics and the gas tank to change a spark plug. wtf

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
No problem happy to help

thanks corbett, i drained and replace the fuel with sunoco 93. actually seeming to run better. ill try the sea foam and spark plugs. i didnt realize youy have to take the plastics and the gas tank to change a spark plug. wtf
Yeah on the 800 sparkplugs are a pain to change. All I have to do the 500 is take the lid off the air box & the plug is right on top of the cylinder. That's one of the things I like about the 500. This is a great forum full of helpful people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts