Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,.

Went for a ride yesterday, still breaking in the new motor, which now has 11 miles on it. We were on flat ground, hit about 40 mph, and smelled something not right. Stopped and when I looked under the headlight there was gear oil, the engine oild is still full and gold, this was nasty thick oil. Tried searching around for any cause, because everything is bone dry under the seat, both diffe, and nothing in the air box. Any thoughts?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tank Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tank Automotive lighting Hood

·
14,990 Posts
Did you check the oil level in the gearcases (front and rear) as well as the tranny? The vent lines from the gearcases run up around the steering shaft and if they are overfull may have puked out some when running at high speed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought all 3 Polaris fluids, and am heading down to look at it tomorrow. Also got the pages from the service manual to do the changes. Anything else I should look at it while I am in there?

While talking with a friend of mine, he said that while we were in some mud, my front wheels took a long time to start AWD mode , just thought I should add that in case something else it wrong. I never noticed to be honest, the wheels and tires I have on it pretty much eat anything I throw at it.

Thanks Again!

·
14,990 Posts
Hopefully your front gearcase isn't full of water and that's the reason it was puking up through the vent tube.
Check the integrity of all the vent tubes from each gearcase while you're checking stuff. They can get knocked loose or broken sometimes and then you'll intake water and mud inside... Not good! It's also a good idea to drain each individual fluid into a clean pan so it can be closely inspected for contaminants and metal particles. Inspecting the oil is the best way to keep an eye on the internal condition of the various gearcases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts