Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've got a pRoblem with my xp. Whenever I'm going fast or slow and I let off the
Throttle the bike locks up the clutch and the wheels and I get black smoke coming out of the clutch
housing. Now it doesn't always do it but it happens more often than not. The bike also won't start after this happens, it acts like the motor is locked up but if I let it sit a few minutes or move the bike a little it sometimes starts. I have put a new belt on because the old one got burnt up and I also replaced the entire primary clutch. Anyonev have any ideas it's driving me crazy. Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dang !!! Sorry to hear that. My guess would've been the primary and secondary. I see you changed the primary already, what about the secondary? How did it look since your wheels are locking up, I would suspect this as a possible cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks polarispop, I just noticed that right after I installed the belt and rode it it worked fine
But I think thats because when I installed the belt it sat down flush with secondary shives but once I right it the belt now sits above the shives in the secondary a little.
I compared it to my 500 sportsman and the belt rides even with the top of the shives right in the middle nice and snug.
Is the belt in my 850 suppose to ride that high on the secondary? My thought is that since its riding high on the shives it's tightening the belt up considerably causing the lock up in deceleration and the very hard starting. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure how high it rides on the secondary but I'm sure someone with a better knowledge will chime in. Sorry i couldn't be of any help. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill post a few of mine in a minute. But it looks like mine is a lot higher.
I replaced the primary because I originally thought it has something to do with the engine braking I'm the primary clutch. My one way bearing looked all chewed up in the middle.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's possible that there is a problem in the secondary allowing it to close to far and tightening up the belt to much. That will make it start hard and drag. Probably something worn out or broken in there keeping it from shifting properly.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What brand belt did you use?

Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts