Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, lately my quad blows one ECM fuse after another, then sometimes doesn't for half a day.
My gas gauge fluctuates showing MT then Full since likely float saturated. Why would ecm fuse all of a sudden keep blowing. I did see that the speedometer red needle was blinking. Quad was in storage all winter and barely used this year.... Any help appreciated....thx

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Charging system failed and is getting AC into the DC or it may simply be overcharging - check the charging system (indicated by the flashing speedo needle) and look for a chaffed wire shorting to ground in the wiring harness

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for advice Latebird, any other advice from all much appreciated since can't use the quad anymore!
I'll charge the battery 1rst...likely a little low too.
Then try to remember how to check that charging system again (I can't remember but read up on it). I did a mistake also, I blew so many and all my 20 amp fuses so put 30, then last 2 times it stalled as soon as I hit the throttle to move, it stalled then sounded like a shotgun blast !!
I'll take all covers off and check for chewed mice wires or broken wires then update all on what I found....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked battery, it's 12.43 V. Looks like a mouse chewed a little bit on outside around air cleaner (no hole). One of the big positive cables are worn from previous damage on side in one spot showing copper, it's the wire going to a relay but that was like that before quad blew Main fuse. I did drive quad for 6 miles a few days ago

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Fuses are there to protect the wiring - if you have to, unplug things and install a new fuse, then start plugging things in to see what has to be plugged in to cause the fuse to blow - that will identify the defective circuit (not necessarily the defective part, but the circuit it is part of) - it might also expose a defective part.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you again latebird. I’m going to go pickup my tools at my friends this weekend then take all covers off and do as you said. I’ll check voltage regulator also and see if battery charges if I rev engine too. I’ll keep everyone updated. Thank you

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update- I took all covers off the quad. No wire chewed by mice. I had a thick red wire from battery burnt when battery slid onto muffle a few years ago, I think that was the problem, so Ill buy a new red ire that goes from battery to a relay under tank. Battery is 12.6 and fully charged now tonight. I put new 20 amp fuse then reved engine, the battery maintains 14.4 or so meaning it's charging, but the speedometer was still flashing on and off. So this leads me to think it's that bare red wire that maybe archs on metal somewhere. I'll update with more as I test.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Iit's not that wire, I wonder if its because the float in tank makes sending unit say full tank then empty tank when driving on inclines sometimes, then maybe it tell engine to stop then start all at once ???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not very happy, I just changed red positive wire from battery to solenoid under fuel tank. I know fuel float or sending unit is not working well. Needle on speedometer still flashes red and I tried to get Engine flash codes but none where there. fuel gauges do flash and FUEL displays on speedometer too.
Could this be a short at fuel sending unit, causing a ground issue or something ? I can start quad and rev up lots and fuse does not blow.
Only option if can't fix is bring to a garage and pay but hate doing that....
Any help appreciated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts