Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on the form had there aluminum rims on the 2009 XP Blow out or break..... I've had this happen twice.... both times ended up with a 3"x 3" hole in the rims each time... Will attach picture later...

Thanks JJ

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Wow thats something!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
never heard or read about that yet! just curious did you hit something to make it blow out or did it just start cracking. Pics would be cool.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Havent heard of them blowing out but, the local Popo dealer was warning me about getting large rocks caught between the caliper and the rim, cutting or breaking them that way. Guess they have had a few like that and Polaris says your on your own.... If you have the $$$ upgrade to SS`s I`ve never had an ounce of problems with those rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, Iv'e heard that there's alot of problems with those xp's.my friend has one and he put terracross with itp 112 machined rims on there and hes fine.

·
Registered
667 Posts
NO there are not a lot of problems with the XP. that is just forum B/S. never heard of a broken xp wheel on any forum. now most wheels today are china made,including ITP.

·
Registered
555 Posts
NO there are not a lot of problems with the XP. that is just forum B/S. never heard of a broken xp wheel on any forum. now most wheels today are china made,including ITP.
LOL... well, you just heard of two here.

Anyhow, I heard of one other occurrence, but I think that was on a 2010... not sure. Doesn't seem to be widespread... yet. :naughty: Plus, who knows the circumstances behind the breakages.

It will be interesting to see if warranty will cover it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh yes they did cover them.... But the dealer has a thing called a courtesy claim not sure if that's what the claimed it through... I've bought 2 ATV in the last 2 years and a Snowmobile and spent count less dollars there so I think I should get a little respect..

·
Registered
369 Posts
The only other time I had herd of busted rims on the XPs was in a recent Dirtwheels magazine shootout article.

I know when the XPs first came out, I was not happy about the 14" rim deal at all. With 14s you loose 2" of what I consider protection (Tire Sidewall) from the hazzards of the trail. Then when I found out that there was no way to fit 12" rims on a XP, I started researching all sorts of different rims, to find a solution that would pretty much wistand any impact I may incounter on the rocky trails I ride.

Hipers, are Carbon fiber double bead lock rims. So far I have banged them off rock after rock, and not a mark on them. Yes they are not cheap, far from it, but busted rims, and getting stranted on top of mountain 40 miles from the truck is exactly why I spent the money on them.

I was wanting to try and keep my stock offset, on my 2010 and I was not wanting to spend the money on a second set of Hipers, for my backup/guest machine. I have opted for the OEM Black Steel rims, that I plan to have some BH1s mounted on. These Polaris Black steel wheels might bend a little if impacted, and for sure will scratch, but I feel pretty safe, in the notion that they won't break like the cast aluminum rims will when taking hard impacts into rocks . When I get these all mounted up and on my 2010 I will post some pics of these but for now this is what the steel wheel looks like from a stock photo from the Polaris website.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
WOW. I need to see this damage. I haven't had any issues with my wheels!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my 09 850xp eps 3 days

i had mine 3 days and went for a short ride for the first time and i had the back of the rim blow out. It wasnt covered by warranty, but hole size you stated is about right. I bought mine in april 09.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
cc1999 you are not playing with those Hiper wheels! Those puppies are $400 bucks a piece!!

I guess that's no more expensive than the set of Elka shocks I put on my quad. They look awesome!

I think this is the wheel that I am going to get fr the 2011 season. This year was shocks and brushguards. Next year wheels and tires.

I'm assuming you are running the UTV 14" wheels. I didn't see any 14" in the ATV section on their website. What widths are you running on the front and the rear?

·
Registered
673 Posts
i chipped a piece out of my 2010 second day i was out, now after seeing these posts, guess i better be a little more careful :ugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
broken wheels

just found the other day i had a huge crack on the inside of my back wheel got it repaired checked the air in all my other wheels to find i had a hole in the other back wheel i personally think these wheels are junk

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I blew my rear wheel on the RinconRiders.com ride last summer. Hit a mud hold hard and fast and a rock got compressed between the A arm area and wheel. My trip was cut short a day and a half early. No one in a 100 mile radius had a XP wheel. I had a local machine shop patch it up for a grand total of $20 after I came home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts