Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to 4 wheelers so I apologize early. When I bought my 2014 570 I bought my girlfriend a used 2009 sportsmen 550 with 24 hours on it. test drove it and it ran great. Anyway I have noticed more lately that when I place it in reverse and attempt to apply throttle it idles up higher but nothing happens then it jerks real hard and goes. Makes backing up a pain, scared shit out backing off my truck bed. Once it goes if you let off to slow down it stops till you get the engine idles up high again. Im not apllying huge amounts of throttle just above idle. Is normaly for this model to have lag when applyiong the throtle then it just pops like you dropped the clutch. I seem to notice it in forward to a little and in low range alot more.

My 2014 Sportsmen 570 is smooth as slik.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Very common complaint on the entire xp line. Only fix its too change the clutching in them. The qsc clutch kits will drastically reduce the harsh engagement in reverse as well as forward. It will also improve the low end and mid range power band and the backshift to keep power band on tap instantly. I have them in sick and ready to ship at $219 plus shipping. Takes about an hour and a half to put in and dies not require removal of the primary clutch.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
You know to hold the Yellow button on the left hand grip?? (reverse override button). Without holding it, reverse just RPM's up with no real power.

If not..You are experiencing the dreaded delayed engagement that the 550's offer there customers. Over time it gets better and less jerky, But ultimately guys are putting in clutch kits or swapping out springs/weights to combat the problem.

Here is a thread on a fix for delayed engagement for cheap.
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-xp/14735-550-xp-harsh-clutch-engagement-fix.html

·
Registered
619 Posts
Use yellow "Overide" button and feather the throttle, you'll get used to it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have a different spring to try in my 09. The clutching is piss poor on the 09 550. I should have it in by this time tomorrw and I will post back.

Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
If it is like my 850, it is more noticeable when the machine is cold. Try putting it in neutral and revving it a few times to warm the belt a little before trying to back it up. Seems to help with mine. Just something I have gotten used too, and really don't notice it much anymore.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
There is always the clunk of the rollers shifting in the secondary from fwd to rev that you cant get rid of. Once you take up all the drive line slack and get the secondary shifted it should be better the second engagement. I don't see how the override button helps. Just lets you spin more RPM in revers to go faster. Shouldn't effect the harsh engagement. I know many hold the brakes on to help, but that is hard on belts.

Ronnie, it's not the spring, it's the profile of the weights. They have most of their mass in the heel with very little mid and tip and it takes a lot to get them to start to shift out. That's where the QSC weights work well is spreading some of the weight out farther down the profile along with drastically different spring rates to help smooth it out.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
There must have been some significant changes in '12 or '13. My clutch engagement is buttery smooth and almost hydrostatic.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The 9's had the harshest engagement, 10's had the worst overall setup, 11-12 went back to basically the 9 setup and 13 is slightly improved. It's really just reverse that sucks on them. Most people don't mind the jump in forward. Makes wheelies easier.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I must have a one off... I certainly know jerkiness with my '04 700...nothing really smooth there

Maybe as I tack on more miles the jerkiness will show up? Nothing notable in forward or reverse just smooth.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The 2011 550s (and earlier?) idle is set to around 1600-1700 RPM. In 2012 they lowered the RPM to about 1400...which helps a lot by allowing the clutchs to engage at a lower RPM.

Some folks have had good luck using the 2012 primary clutch spring. Others have had good luck with the EPI primary clutch spring. These are 20-30 dollars. These springs lower your engagement RPM...so if all else is not just right it could cause creep, or make it hard to shift.

If you are getting more than one jerk, your belt might need changing. I bought my 2011 with 58 hours on it, it did multiple jerks during engagement and had a bad belt on it.

Sean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My 2012 550 makes a loud clunk noise from the transmission when going from on and off throttle while in any gear. Anyone know what thats all about? My other 550 (2010) never makes a sound. Kinda weird to me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would check the u-joints in your propshafts Rooskey.

Sean

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the info! I figured it had something to do with clutches or maybe the belt. Just makes it hard to back off the truck. Now way to go slow have to have a bunch of rpm for it to engage. I would venture because it has 24 hours and about 180 miles it not even broke in yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts