Polaris ATV Forum banner

2010 300 sportsman 300 4x4 poor throttle response

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  InRBigness 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all! I purchased my son a sportsman 300 4x4. It was purchased new in Jan of 2011. This thing is a real billy goat on the trails. With the narrow width and short wheel base it climbs over some stuff better than my longer wheel base 550. The only issue I have is it seems to have a severe lack of power and has since day one. I dont mean it runs bad its just a dog when it comes to throttle response and overall performance. Its like the exhaust or air filter is clogged causing the engine to really labor to make revs. I removed the air filter in the driveway and tried to start it to see if there was some kind of restriction and it wouldnt even start. I reinstalled the air filter and started it then removed the air filter while it was running and it died. I've owned 4 stroke 250 motorcycles in the past and they rev and have tons of power. I know this atv weighs much more than a typical motorcycle but its not a weight issue I'm dealing with. The throttle response from idle to WOT takes 3-4 seconds. If anyone has any suggestions let me know and thanks for reading my post!

#3 ·
I'll have to pull the plug and take a look.. I will offer this also. After its been ridden a while and you shut it off you have to give it some throttle while cranking in order for it to start. Once its started it idles fine. I tried turning the idle up just a touch but then it makes it hard to get in gear so I had to reduce the idle back down.

#4 ·
It needs the vacuum from the air box to run the carb. That is why so many people have carb issues related to leaking air in and around the airbox. They dont really run well with out the air box closed down tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.