Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 sporty 500HO that I’m getting ready to put some 27 inch Quadboss QBT672 tires on (27-9-12 fronts and 27-11-12 rears). My question is what would be a good clutch kit to not have a power loss? Was thinking RVS performance. I use my quad for trails, hunting, light to moderate mudding, and plowing snow. I’m also looking for torque specs and aligning procedures with no luck. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this not a forum for help with these machines? Not trying to be rude I guess I was just confused as to what this forum is to be used for? Looking for some assistance before I mess up my machine

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
so RVSPerformance sells QSC clutch kits. imo that's the way to go. even if you didn't go with a clutch kit you wouldn't necessarily mess up your machine. you would just have to be more mindful about what gear you are in. idk torque specs as I don't use them unless its something critical. but as for clutch alignment you needent worry about it unless they are out of alignment. if and when you do the clutch kit when pulling the secondary off make sure if there are shims you put them back upon re-assembly.

Reactions: Bearded_sportsman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so RVSPerformance sells QSC clutch kits. imo that's the way to go. even if you didn't go with a clutch kit you wouldn't necessarily mess up your machine. you would just have to be more mindful about what gear you are in. idk torque specs as I don't use them unless its something critical. but as for clutch alignment you needent worry about it unless they are out of alignment. if and when you do the clutch kit when pulling the secondary off make sure if there are shims you put them back upon re-assembly.
So with the clutch kit, it comes with the basic weights and spring. Is there something I need to do with the secondary? Like does it get an upgraded spring? I’ve never done a clutch kit, only fixed busted primary clutches on snowmobiles and golf carts

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
so you'll get weights, spring, and shims for the primary. the secondary is just a spring. youll need a primary puller (if you have one from the snowmobiles and it worked on Polaris it should work on your primary) and a secondary spring compressor. now you can make a primary puller, a 3/4'-16, 5" long bolt and a 5/8" deep socket to insert into the center of the primary once the bolt has been removed. the secondary can be done with the aid of another set of hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you'll get weights, spring, and shims for the primary. the secondary is just a spring. youll need a primary puller (if you have one from the snowmobiles and it worked on Polaris it should work on your primary) and a secondary spring compressor. now you can make a primary puller, a 3/4'-16, 5" long bolt and a 5/8" deep socket to insert into the center of the primary once the bolt has been removed. the secondary can be done with the aid of another set of hands.
Would I need to get a new helix for the secondary or will the stock one be fine? This is the kit I’m looking at https://www.shop.rvsperformance.com/Sportsman-500-Clutch-Kits-CK-P-500-SPTSMN.htm

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
Nope don't change the helix. Yup that's the typical QSC clutch kit in the picture.

·
10,591 Posts
OP, I wasn't trying to be flip. Its just that talking to the experts who actually put together the kits would be much more beneficial to you than asking us guys that have maybe installed one kit on our own personal machine. Each kit for each individual is different depending on what machine you have and what else you have done to the machine like tires, intake and exhaust, big bore, etc etc. and what you expect to gain. Some will have a secondary spring and/or helix. Some not, It all depends. That's why you need to talk to the experts about your specific needs. Generalizations about what I did to my 800 or what bp did to his 570 or what somebody else did to their 1000 are mostly irrelevant as to what YOU need for YOUR 500 depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Drive Clutch Retaining Bolt 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm
Driven Clutch Retaining Bolt 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm)
Drive Clutch Spider 200 ft. lbs. (271 Nm)
Drive Clutch Cover Plate 90 in. lbs. (10 Nm)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know how to tell if my machine has EBS? It doesn’t have the sticker but if I let off the throttle when I’m moving at a decent speed I can hear the clutch make a noise like it’s letting down or something like a turbo without a wastegate

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
nope doesn't look like you do. when you let off the throttle and the machine is coasting especially on a down hill decent does it eventually free-wheel??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve never really paid much attention to whether it free wheels or not cause I’m usually in a group of people so I hit my brakes occasionally to avoid hitting them. And idk if it has EBS cause my buddy’s 2004 800 efi twin has EBS. Would that be a higher “package”?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope doesn't look like you do. when you let off the throttle and the machine is coasting especially on a down hill decent does it eventually free-wheel??
So if it has EBS would it make the quad stop or slow down or whatever even on the road? Like flat ground?

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
Yup so the EBS engages once you let off the throttle and is on constantly until you're back in the throttle.

This is different then "shift back" which keeps the clutches engaged for a short period of time like 10 seconds then releases the clutches and the wheels will free spin as if you were in neutral. I think you have this set-up.

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
they all have bearings the EBS primarys have one-way bearings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts