Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I let my father use my atv to spray for weeds on his dove field. He said the atv ran perfect but after a while the temp. light came on and within about 30 seconds the bike shut off by itself. After letting it cool down he started it back up and it ran fine. He then brought it back to me and I tried my best to get it to over heat but it would not do it. I left it in the baking sun (95 degree's out today) and also kept the rpm's up to see what it would do. The fan came on and off as should, the radiator and overflow are full, and the radiator is not packed with any type of debree.
My questions are is this bike suppose to shut off by itself to keep from damaging the engine? Also is there any other things I should look into about this issue. Never had any type of problems with this atv before.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When my atv was new it would overheat, the fan sometimes wouldn't kick on. It was the ecu not sending signal to run fan when it got hot. Yes it would shut off to protect the engine.

·
8,770 Posts
I would guess he was crawling around in high gear for an extended period of time while spraying. Tell him to always use low for such tasks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When my atv was new it would overheat, the fan sometimes wouldn't kick on. It was the ecu not sending signal to run fan when it got hot. Yes it would shut off to protect the engine.
Thanks for the reply. I have noticed before that the fan would come on and off very quickly or it seems like it would not come on for long periods of time. Did you have to take you bike in for a ecu update? My bike has 126 hours so it is not exactly brand new.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have noticed before that the fan would come on and off very quickly or it seems like it would not come on for long periods of time. Did you have to take you bike in for a ecu update? My bike has 126 hours so it is not exactly brand new.
Had ecu replaced.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just wondering how they got around to diagnosing your ecu. I am having a similar issues with 2013 850. Apparently there is never any code showing an overheat. They just changed the fan relay and thermo switch but I haven't yet got to take it for a ride. Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The ecu send out a negative signal to the fan relay. The fan relay is always hot, unless the metal thermal overload is open. The metal thermal overload also send a hot lead to the start relay, I guess the logic is if it overheated then it's not going to start back up till things cool down. The service manual give an explication of where to test out of the ecm harness for the negative signal for the fan relay. Hope that answers your question.;)

It's just a thang

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ecu send out a negative signal to the fan relay. The fan relay is always hot, unless the metal thermal overload is open. The metal thermal overload also send a hot lead to the start relay, I guess the logic is if it overheated then it's not going to start back up till things cool down. The service manual give an explication of where to test out of the ecm harness for the negative signal for the fan relay. Hope that answers your question.;)

It's just a thang
Nice, thanks for the info

·
Registered
173 Posts
Got mine back from the dealer...this time they replaced the fan relay and the thermo switch on the engine. Mechanic says that the computer is not indicating any overheating.

I just got back from a test ride and the nike is doing the same thing. Perhaps they will change the ecu next. This is getting a little sickening knowing that you have a $13k bike that can't run a half without or less without overheating.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my fan is coming on, and the bike will not start when the temp light comes on. So im thinking that the relay is working if the fan is coming on, and the thermo switch is working if it will not let the bike start? So im gonna ride it out and see if it overheats again. If so I am thinking I should just replace the ecu. I will test the relay and thermo switch before just to make sure. Thanks for all of the help guys

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just looking at a diagram, could this problem also be caused by the engine temperature sensor?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts