Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 550 seems dead...i turn it on and the dash slightly flashes then nothing...some clicking from the relays but nothing..battery is full....
any ideas ?

ran fine always

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dirty bat terminals, bad frame ground, bat leads on backwards, key switch bad or loose wiring in behind.

How do you know the bat is full? What voltage does it put out?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just because a battery is giving you 12 volts or more does not indicate that the battery is good. The only way to correctly test your battery is to put a load on it. Once a load is applied to a bad battery you will see the voltage drop and it may drop dramatically. Connecting a VOM or multimeter to your battery is only going to tell you how many volts DC is is producing. It will not tell you the actual condition of the battery.

These batteries are no different the the 18volt battery in your cordless weed whacker. when its new you can whack the whole lawn. Two years later you may only be able to whack half the lawn. the battery is still charging to 18volts and the charger tells you it is charged. When in reality it no longer has the ability to handle the load it could when new.

Charge it and take the battery to your local auto parts store. They will load test it for free.

·
Registered
526 Posts
2X on having the battery fully tested. This is the first place to start when any computer issues pop up like displays not looking correct.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Look at the battery, should have more than 12 volts. Sounds like it will not carry the load of the electronics

·
Registered
32 Posts
Double check that the battery terminal wires are tight. Mine loosened after riding and did the same thing. A quick tighten of the terminal screws and it started right up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts