Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was wondering how long brake pads typically last. I understand that it will vary with riding style but my front pads are wore out after 1500 kilometers. This seemed premature to me but this is also my first atv so I have nothing to compare it to.

Also my front ball joints are bad as well, thankfully I am going to get them fixed just before the 6 months warranty is up, I was wondering if anyone else has had to replace the ball joints so soon. I read there was a recall on the 2009's but I cant seem to find much on the 2010's

·
Registered
203 Posts
i cant belive that are you checking it out wrong my 2006 has 850 miles and are perfict

·
Registered
877 Posts
totally different

i cant belive that are you checking it out wrong my 2006 has 850 miles and are perfict
u both have totally different machines u CANT compare the 500 to the 550

as far as the pads i went thru a set in 400 miles
i talked to the dealler about them on my 850 they contacted polaris they said alot of people dont understand the weight of the machine and more weight means more brake
basically that alot of people are trying to stop like the lighter machines and they are ripping thru brakes

in my case i got mud and grass(swamp riding) stuck in the calipers a few times and therefore the pads just kept wearing before i got it out the insides were still just like new

they recently came out with a heavy duty pad that im picking up tomorrow or wed

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Heavy duty pads may wear out your rotors more quickly. You should consider the trade off. IMO

·
Registered
667 Posts
700 miles on my pads and they are still good. it is the mud that wears them out soon. the ball joint recall was for all 09 built from 01/01/09 till end of production and early 2010 built before 08/31/09. build date is on the right front frame rail.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Not for nothing, but concerning the brakes. Sounds more like the MANUFACTURER didn't consider the weight of the bigger quads when THEY put brake pads on it.
It's not the consumer trying to stop to fast or to aggressively ... That sounds kinda like a hokey excuse to me.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
1600 miles on my pads & they still look like new. I almost never use the brakes since the unit has EBS. Ball Joints were replaced by recall at 1k miles but were still fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u both have totally different machines u CANT compare the 500 to the 550

as far as the pads i went thru a set in 400 miles
i talked to the dealler about them on my 850 they contacted polaris they said alot of people dont understand the weight of the machine and more weight means more brake
basically that alot of people are trying to stop like the lighter machines and they are ripping thru brakes

in my case i got mud and grass(swamp riding) stuck in the calipers a few times and therefore the pads just kept wearing before i got it out the insides were still just like new

they recently came out with a heavy duty pad that im picking up tomorrow or wed

Thanks I will ask about the heavy duty pads. I noticed that alot of mud and grass getting caught up in the calipers on my machine too, I am sure it didn't help the pads.

Have you seen or heard of a better set of shields for the front of the XP's, one that would keep a lot of the debris out of the brakes? I see that Polaris has some aluminum guards but they don't look like they would be any better than the stock plastic ones

·
Registered
877 Posts
yes

Thanks I will ask about the heavy duty pads. I noticed that alot of mud and grass getting caught up in the calipers on my machine too, I am sure it didn't help the pads.

Have you seen or heard of a better set of shields for the front of the XP's, one that would keep a lot of the debris out of the brakes? I see that Polaris has some aluminum guards but they don't look like they would be any better than the stock plastic ones
yes i have
Front & Rear A-Arm Guards Hey! ATV Accessories are Here! (contact thor)
i got them after a while and i have noticed that they do help and they really help keep everything away from the shafts
highly recommend them

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

I want to get some of those a arm guards but when I checked out the atvsuperstore.com I found that the guards were $115 and the shipping would be $125. Does anyone know if they will do free shipping if I buy enough or does any one know of a Canadian distributor that I can get the guards from.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Mt. Site must have a shipping error for your area. Send me a PM with your adresse. Will get u a quote tomorrow I'm on the trail today in northern Wisconsin.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Michaeltucker01. Use the USPS shipping price on the drop down not the FedEX. They are the cheapest for international shipping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts