Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone has had this problem before ha ha.I need some ideas.
Changed the ADC fluid, bled the system more than I needed to, just straight fluid coming no air.When the switch is in ADC 4x4 the front diff makes a grinding sound.When I change it to 4X4 everything is normal,and the 4x4 works fine. The problem started after I drained the oil and changed it in the ADC,I have used the proper Polaris fluid that they have.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Whenever my ADC makes noise I change the fluid in the front diff and it quiets it right down.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When you bleed the system, did you bleed both sides of the front diff? Only doing one side can cause the problems described.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
343 Posts
You need to drain and fill the front diff not the ADC reservoir.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The ADC, when it kicks in, under 15mph when off the throttle, does make a kind of grinding noise. It's normal for it. But you may have other problems if it is excessively loud. Also x2 on Rickycj's comment if you didn't drain the front diff and refill.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Buddy has the same problem with his 08 x2. After you come to a stop, if you take it out of ADC, you can feel the quad settle, like it released tension in the drive train. Changing the diff fluid and bleeding the ADC was no help. Looking forward to hearing your resolution.

Sean

·
Registered
343 Posts
ADC is front wheel engine braking. The front and rear diff in the Polaris have slightly different gear ratios. The front and rear binding is what makes the atv come to a stop on a steep hill.
The ADC does make a light grinding noise in the front diff, you shouldn't hear it with your helmet on.
Yes you will feel the atv settle when you flip ADC off, just the front diff releasing tension.
Its best to engage AWD and ADC when stopped not moving.

·
Super Moderator
7,095 Posts
Buddy has the same problem with his 08 x2. After you come to a stop, if you take it out of ADC, you can feel the quad settle, like it released tension in the drive train. Changing the diff fluid and bleeding the ADC was no help. Looking forward to hearing your resolution.

Sean
Did you change the diff oil a couple of times? I had to do it twice on my wife's 500 to get it back to normal. Just one change made no difference at all. Changed it again and it's like new.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also, make sure you are using the correct fluid. My dealer told me to use up the old LT fluid (I think) and ADC was grinding with that. Just changed it with the new Demand Drive Plus fluid and no more noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it appears I have more serious problems with the ADC,pulled the drain plug to change the oil again and 4 small pieces of metal were stuck to the magnet on the plug with a few tiny pieces as well. Now the fun begins.
Would any of you attempt to tear this apart and fix it on your own or would a guy be getting in over his head?
I am pretty good at mechanics as I have pulled out engines and repaired a lot of heavy duty truck stuff. Just not sure about this one, any help would be appreciated, pulling it out is the easy part ,it would be tearing it down and putting it back together.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you can turn a wrench, and don't mind taking things apart. It's a weekend project.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I just did one last week. Wasnt that hard. Just took time. If you have eps you may need a little help getting the steering box out of the way to get the diff out, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Babbits is normally about the cheapest...polarispartshouse.com

Check eBay too.

If it is bearings, I have been getting allballs brand off eBay.

Sean

·
Registered
417 Posts
If your going too pull out the front diff. Might as well change out that plastic sprag cage for a nice aluminum one

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you don't have it already, I'd highly recommend the purchase of the Polaris shop manual (not a Chilton's or other brand) for your machine. There is a wealth of info in them and anyone working on their machine should have one...in my humble opinion..:)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you don't have it already, I'd highly recommend the purchase of the Polaris shop manual (not a Chilton's or other brand) for your machine. There is a wealth of info in them and anyone working on their machine should have one...in my humble opinion..:)
Search out Polaristech1. He has authentic Polaris ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts