Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have been having a problem with my 2010 Sportsman 850 XP. It only while in gear (haven't tried reverse). When running in Low or High, my machines dies almost any time I go from ~5000 RPM to an idle (i.e. going down a straight away and then letting off to take a turn). Probably at least 50% of the time, the machines dies completely and I have to restart it. Sometimes, it idles really low, but then catches up. This seems to happen when the idle drops to about 1400 RPM. Once it has started chugging, I can't feather the throttle. It feels very similar to the reverse limiter. It started happening Friday. I have recently installed new tires and springs. I also installed K&N air filter, but have since swapped back to troubleshoot. The machine was running great Friday, until I got stuck in the mud, really stuck. We worked the 3500# winch pretty hard. While winching, my battery light came on briefly. Saturday, I hooked up a charger and the battery was low. I charged it and rode again Sunday. Same issue. I did not have a chance to check the battery again. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I recently have been having a problem with my 2010 Sportsman 850 XP. It only while in gear (haven't tried reverse). When running in Low or High, my machines dies almost any time I go from ~5000 RPM to an idle (i.e. going down a straight away and then letting off to take a turn). Probably at least 50% of the time, the machines dies completely and I have to restart it. Sometimes, it idles really low, but then catches up. This seems to happen when the idle drops to about 1400 RPM. Once it has started chugging, I can't feather the throttle. It feels very similar to the reverse limiter. It started happening Friday. I have recently installed new tires and springs. I also installed K&N air filter, but have since swapped back to troubleshoot. The machine was running great Friday, until I got stuck in the mud, really stuck. We worked the 3500# winch pretty hard. While winching, my battery light came on briefly. Saturday, I hooked up a charger and the battery was low. I charged it and rode again Sunday. Same issue. I did not have a chance to check the battery again. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give.
Try putting the old air filter back on and see what it does. Maybe with the extra air that it's getting it needs re-tuned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am about 80% sure your throttle cable is just out of adjustment. Mine did this before.. same symptoms. There is a safety feature if its not adjusted just right.. it will send a code will cut power to the engine... Try bringing up diagnosis or adjusting the throttle cable to spec... That would be my best guess... i guess it could be possible for the battery to be died or the connecters being loose... none of your modifications should have caused this

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Hawkeye - I already switched the filter back to stock. Still having the issue.

@BlueMustang - I am not sure what Diagnosis is, but I am assuming that is a mode. I will check out the throttle cable adjustment. I am assuming that adjustment is documented in the service manual.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The throttle cable was way out of adjustment. I fixed that, however it is still dying after high to low RPM. For instance, I jumped it off my trailer yesterday. They turned and hit the throttle to move, it chugged and almost died. After a few seconds of idle, I was able rev up and drive away. Any other suggestions would be great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts