Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2010 850xp that I have barely broken in. It is mostly used for camping 4-5 times a year and for clearing snow. It seems like every once in a while mid ride, I will slow down and the quad will die. I turn off the key, put it in park, start it up and away I go. I know this isn't the norm, but my dealer has said unless I can make it do this in his shop there is not much he can do for me. Should I just keep riding it with this quirk, or does someone have a suggestion as to what might be the problem? Cheers and thanks in advance

·
Registered
94 Posts
IF fuel injected maybe the throttle cable is RIGHT at the point where it needs tightened a bit? Mine did that(500) and that was the problem.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I think your throttle free play might need adjusting. This is a classic symptom of it being maladjusted.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Key chain? why yes I have a key chain (and am very curious where this line of thought is going....)

As far as the throtle cable my dealer says it has been adjusted recently, although maybe it is something I should check over myself as well. Is there much to adjusting it?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
They have a tendency to hook on things and shut the ATV off. This does not sound like what you're explaining here, but worth a try though. The throttle free play can be adjusted right on the bars. Slide the rubber grommet back and its right there. What's it idle at?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Take the key chain off and see what it does. There has been many a rider that had this symptom and it was the key chain. They do seem to hang up on things.

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Take the key chain off and see what it does. There has been many a rider that had this symptom and it was the key chain. They do seem to hang up on things.

Ronnie
x2 on this. 2 most common reasons for stalling are ETC and key chains!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts