Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should take some pics and post but unfortunately my 850 is in the hospital. Just picked it up 1 week ago and put my xtr's on and the wife and I decided to go for a ride. Well we didn't make it far. To be exact--.85/km and blew the motor. Started with a short tick and big knock(bang) and that's all she wrote. Pulled the dipstck and there is chunks of white metal. Will be interesting to know what the repair shop will say and do!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I should take some pics and post but unfortunately my 850 is in the hospital. Just picked it up 1 week ago and put my xtr's on and the wife and I decided to go for a ride. Well we didn't make it far. To be exact--.85/km and blew the motor. Started with a short tick and big knock(bang) and that's all she wrote. Pulled the dipstck and there is chunks of white metal. Will be interesting to know what the repair shop will say and do!
That's not good, hope they replace the engine. Keep us posted on what happens.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Replace the entire engine (I hope) Not just fix it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
yes go for a complete engine. you call polaris if you have to to get a complete motor. my ECM took a crap at 21 miles. my dealer took one out of another stock unit and had me out in 2 hrs. been good, now at 300 miles no problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good luck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes, good luck. Similar thing happened to me, only the end of the dipstick was broke off... Took it to my local dealership (never do business with them again) and they stated there was mud all through the engine and that it would not be covered under warranty. I had 10 hours on the machine, still breaking it in. And was on a DRY trail when it happened. Had not been in any mud deeper than the floorboards as it was really dry at the beginning of this season... Polaris sided with the dealer, and $2,700 later, I have a rebuilt engine in a BRAND NEW machine.

Make sure your dealer is reputable... Polaris is very hands off about the dealer experience as they are "franchised". When I tried to complain to them about how awful the service manager and owner of this dealership were to deal with, they basically said... That's your issue with the dealer... Nevermind the fact that the dealer sells their products and represents their products... But that's another story with a lot more to it, for another thread...

Good luck again, let us know how it goes.

Nick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
850xp uodate

I tried to load pics with no success. Anyways the piston parted at the wrist pin. The rings stayed on the top portion of the piston, wrist pin stayed in the rod and the rest dropped into the crank case. Made a good hole in the sleeve.Hope fully get a new motor soon!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
850xp update on motor

Things turned out good. The dealer called me today and ordered a new motor. He said he will deal with polaris on the warranty issue. Should be here in 3-4 days. Maybe have my quad by the weekend(I Hope). Sorry I couldn't download any pic's,I tried.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I tried to load pics with no success. Anyways the piston parted at the wrist pin. The rings stayed on the top portion of the piston, wrist pin stayed in the rod and the rest dropped into the crank case. Made a good hole in the sleeve.Hope fully get a new motor soon!!!!!!!!!
Did you drop a valve something caused the piston to end up in the pan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
850xp update on motor

No never dropped a valve. There was a flaw in the piston as far as the mechanic said. Just a weak point at the wrist pin. The bottom skirt dropped into the crankcase. I will still try to upload the pics so you all can see.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pictures would be nice! Do you know if there was a transfer of metal from the piston to the liner or any codes that would show an overheat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today was a good day. Dealer called me to pick up my quad. The motor sounds totally different from when I first bought it. The new motor runs like a dream. Cold or not tomorrow, I am going out for a long ride and see how she works.Put some miles on it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sure would of been nice to see pictures of failed parts but my guess is the pictures would of caused some problems like maybe big brother is watching.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far everything is working great Put on close to 160 miles and runs like a top. I am going to play with the clutching and see if I can get it to work to my liking. I don't race but I do a lot of trail riding and pulling and I noticed the belt is slipping. I want to put my tracks back on for the winter. Anyone know of a good setup for the clutch for this type of application?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts