Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a 2010 Polaris Sportsman 550 EPS with approx 2K miles on it. What would be a fair price...plastics are good and has new tires...Also is there a way to check to see if any trouble codes pop up on machine before I purchase it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would think that 5,500 would be a fair price. Not sure about the engine codes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lately here in MN the XP's have been all over the board price wise. Just saw a 300 mile 2012 with eps go for 5500 last week. Sold in hours. I'm seeing a consistent drop in 550 xp prices in the used market. 850's are still high as I am witnessing. I'm shopping for another xp 2up so am checking daily. Will probably be a 550 because the 850 is a bit much for the wife's first ever time on a quad. I would be willing to part with 4500 assuming condition was good.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here is the service manual for that 550. It will tell you what you want to know.
2010 550XP Service Manual
I have the same machine. Around me, Montana, that 4wheeler would fetch anywhere in between $6-7K. I stole mine for $4K w/ ~500 miles in 2011. I like stupid people sometimes. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Here is the service manual for that 550. It will tell you what you want to know.
I have the same machine. Around me, Montana, that 4wheeler would fetch anywhere in between $6-7K. I stole mine for $4K w/ ~500 miles in 2011. I like stupid people sometimes. :veryhappy:
I skied Big Sky and Moonlight all last week and was surprised at how much the XP's were listed for on Craigslist.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I skied Big Sky and Moonlight all last week and was surprised at how much the XP's were listed for on Craigslist.
I've seen 10-14 year old 500's with an asking price of over $5k. It's just stupid around here.
Glad you made it out alive. Avalanches are killing people left and right. Lady died yesterday from an avalanche that wiped out her house.
Woman buried by Mount Jumbo avalanche dies

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've seen 10-14 year old 500's with an asking price of over $5k. It's just stupid around here.
Glad you made it out alive. Avalanches are killing people left and right. Lady died yesterday from an avalanche that wiped out her house.
Woman buried by Mount Jumbo avalanche dies
Yikes...we heard a lot of shells go off while on the mountain.
I looked into buying from other cheaper states and shipping it up to me but the cost of shipping never made the numbers work. Southern states seemed to have some better deals.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good afternoon, sorry I know this is an old thread. I recently purchased a 2010 Sportsman 550 XP and I am looking for the service manual. I see that a link was posted by ChickenHawk but that link is no longer valid. Curious if there is an updated link for this manual?

If there is could someone please provide?

Thanks very much

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
753 Posts
550s are dropping because of the risk of the multi thousand dollar valve issue. That issue in the 550s + the crank issues in the 850s pushed me to a new 1000. The cost of either of those is an extremely expensive fix that may or may not work.

I would rather have a new machine with those bugs resolved and the peace of mind of warranty coverage than roll the dice and hope the machine doesn't fail in the boonies and give me a large unplanned for expense.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I literally never heard of the valve problem outside of this forum. none of my mechanics ever told me about that problem and I ride at high speed on logging road. The valvetrain is every bit as Noisy as it was out of the factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts