Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Machine jumps out of year going down hill. How do you replace detent spring and ball? I want to do it myself and need instructions (YouTube or individual help).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Polaris diagram OK

The diagram from Polaris worked fine. The problem is the detent spring and ball are on the engine side and I would need to lift the engine/transmission to access. Is this correct?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Unfortunately.............. Here's a paragraph from the service manual:

TRANSMISSION SERVICE
Transmission Removal / Service Notes:

The engine, transmission and rear differential are bolted together as a unit. Removal of the transmission is not possible without removing the engine and differential. The shift housing cannot be removed without first disassembling the transfer case.
NOTE: Refer to the “Engine Removal” section in Chapter 3 to remove the engine and drive train.

Also

NOTE:
Never remove the outer shift detent screw first. Removal of the outer screw will allow the detent ball and spring to fall into the shift housing.

It requires disassembly of the transmission to replace the ball and spring according to this excerpt from the manual, but I believe this is fundamentally incorrect. The detent mechanism consists of two threaded parts. The outer bolt and gasket (key number 33 - part number 3234869 (note discrepancy in parts list; note on key #33 says includes 14 - 14 is a bearing part number 3235075 - note indicates sealing washer included with the bolt, but the washer is not indicated with it's own key or part number)), the inner bolt and gasket (#13 part number 3234481 identified as Asm., Sleeve, Detent includes the sealing washer which is not indicated as a separate part), the spring (#11) and the ball (#10). The spring and ball are captive to part #13 and will not fall into the gearcase as long as #13 is held with a wrench as #33 is removed - with #33 removed, the spring and call can be retracted with a small magnet and then the new parts installed.

With all that said; if the transmission is removed to install a new ball and spring, the transmission should be disassembled to repair the root problem.

While I have no experience with the RZR transmission, I have years of experience with motorcycle, ATV, automotive synchromesh manual transmissions, automatic transmissions and constant mesh transmissions. If the transmission is popping out of gear when engine braking is active, the root problem is more likely in the gears themselves. I recommend you speak to a Polaris RZR transmission technician and get his opinion before undertaking the task.

PS - the design and required disassembly is why I refuse to service side by side vehicles in my shop. It is unfortunate, but I tell owners to get them serviced at the dealership or a competing independent service facility, but if they remove the component (engine, transmission or differential) I will be glad to work on it. I rebuilt the engine in an early RZR and I do not have the room or time for such an undertaking. It was the last and only time I worked a side by side.

If you need it, I have a manual for the 2011 RZR XP 800 in PDF that I can email you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts