Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my primary and secondary apart on my 2010 Sportsman 500 in prep for a new clutch kit to compensate for the 28" tires I just put on. What I found was a groove worn in the primary about 1/4"-5/16" deep on both sides near the bottom.

Now, I would assume the clutch is going to need replacing but should I just keep running it until I find a replacement? What would happen if I just put a new belt on and kept going?

·
Registered
900 Posts
The primary sheaves get grooved from the belt riding in the same position ,from driving at the same speed constantly. I'm surprised your sheaves are grooved already being a 2010. If the sheaves aren't cracked, you're good to go IMO. When you notice slipping and or lack of performance at low speeds ( grooves near the center or bottom of your pulley) then a new clutch is necessary. Don't worry, any clutch kit components you put in this clutch can be installed in your next new one , if you need one.
Also, you can't replace just the sheaves on a primary clutch. The clutch is a factory made and balanced unit which rides on the end of your crankshaft. Very important is remains balanced right? :)
If you need a new belt , install one. It might wear out premature because of the condition of your clutch sheaves , but shouldn't hurt anything any more than already done....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up putting a rebuild kit into the secondary, EPI sport utility clutch kit into the primary and a new belt. There is a noticeable difference in performance on the low end now. The guy I bought the bike from said him and his wife used it 2 up for touring around the fields. If that was the case and it was in high doing slow riding with two adults on the bike, maybe that is what caused the excessive wear? I also noted the new belt to be at least 1/16" wider than the old one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you idle it in neutral a lot?, mine is like that and has no cracks, the groove is not that deep and I used to let it idle in neutral, I noticed when I replaced my belt and installed a clutch kit, my belt seemed ok, no hour glassin at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Nuetral idling OK?

Nuetral idling shouldn't matter or wear anything, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts