Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Sportsman in for its first scheduled maintainance and it now seems to be really burning through gas at an unbelievable rate. I had no issues before the service with my fuel consumption comparable to my friend's Arctic Cat 550 but now it seems like I'm using fuel at twice the rate. I have not noticed any leaking/puddling while standing still or storing. Any suggestions on what else I could look for/do. You can be sure I will not bring it back to that service center.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Your scheduled maintenance is nothing more then an oil change, go back to the dealer and ask him what was done and tell him about your fuel consumption, are you sure the choke isn't stuck on?

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 2011 seems to burn gas like a mad man as well, but I think it' because it's not broke in and everything... I tried the choke on mine and if it's running and as soon I pull it out a little bit it starts to chug and looks to shut off, so it can't be my choke on mine anyway.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Check the air filter to ensure it is clean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you find the answer ? I have the same problem with my 2010 800 EFI. I just did my first scheduled maintainance.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I don't have an answer but something is wrong. My son & I just did a long ride this last weekend & got just over 21 MPG. I'm wondering if the float isn't sticking open as you ride & your loseing fuel out of the overflow hose on the carb! The 800 EFI is a different story.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do you smell gas anywhere both when riding the machine and when its not being ridden. Does the exhaust smell like its running rich, how about backfiring? How about checking to see if the end of the spark plug tip looks really dark, if so maybe replace the spark plug.

To troubleshoot the spark plug, remove it from the Sportsman 500's single cylinder and inspect the insulator tip. Replace it with a new NGK BKR6E spark plug if the tip is burned or brittle. Adjust the spark plug gap to exactly 0.035 inches before reinstalling the plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts