Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just recently bought a 2010 Sportsman 550 x2 and was looking into setting the valves at my father's recommendation (and the manuals (about 140hrs on the machine)) and in looking around I haven't really seen anything on how people are doing this process. I'm aware of what the process is in terms of where to go on the machine and that the valve clearance should be somewhere around a 6000th of an inch (correct me if I'm wrong) but in terms of what the best way of getting the engine on that third stroke TDC or how crazy accurate you need to be on this whole process. The other thing that has been mentioned is there might be a casket for the valve cover and in my diagram research i haven't seen anything that looks like a gasket.

Basically I'm looking for any guide information for working the valves and if there is indeed a gasket that I should look at ordering before I tear into the thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies gentlemen

I'll look at the document you provided KH42-X2 and see if anything makes a bit more sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't seem to find anything related to a gasket for the valve cover even in the engine schematics on Polaris's site (Unless I am missing something(or it doesn't have one)). Anyone have any knowledge as to what part or even part number would correlate to that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts