Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 1200Miles on this bike and i noticed the prop shaft rear yoke is REALLY LOOSE on the splines... Anyone run into this or is this defective? Im pretty sure the universal joints should go before the actual SHAFT!?!?!? It seems im always putting money in this thing! Im getting fedup with Polaris.
Should i order a new yoke or drill/tap for bolts?
Any help would be appreciated before i tear into it.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No side to side. like the shaft or tube in worn out. Or splines are worn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it apart and the back u-joint is seized. I got NAPA 338 ujoints with zerk fittings. I checked the splins and they are still good, alittle wear but not much. Im going to put it together tomorrow night and let you know if that fixed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
.... I am looking for info. on the rear drive shaft. (I hope thats what you call it) The one from the rear ens to the wheel. There is a 9/16 nut that holds the yoke to the rear end, as I turn the left one the right one turns also. Any idea as to where I can get info on what happens if I thke one side off. Will the stud pull through,stay put or what? Thanks for any and all help. jbuck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats wrong with it?
If you take the wheel off and the nut off the drive shaft then take the top and bottom bolts from the hub out the hub will slid off the drive shaft. Then grab the end of the drive shaft and push it in as much as possible then pull quickly and it will pop out of the rear-end. DONE! Reverse order to put it back in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As for the half shaft or prop shaft, whatever people call it, It seems to be working fine. REPLACE YOUR U-JOINTS to these with Zerk Fittings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2010 also had alot of play in the rear prop shaft. like you i replaced the u-joints, still had play, i ended up removing the rear diff and replacing the input (pinion) bearing, it tightened it all up. And like you i am fed up replacing parts on the polaris, going to go to honda for my next wheeler.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya I hear ya on buying something else but im thinking outlander next... I just starter noticing a vibration at high speed like a shaft off balance. Im thinking the input bearing as well. I ride it and sometimes hard but I take care of my stuff and I dont think its normal to replace parts everytime you go riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts