Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I may have an opportunity to purchase 2 used sportsmans. They are both 2010 model years and have 100km and 380 km respectively on them. One is a 550xp and the other is a 850xp. Both have front and back bumpers and winches.
What changes have occurred between the 2010 and 2014 model years?
Does 2010 models have any inherent problems?
One dealer close to here had 2013 550 models on a blowout for 7700 plus tax but they are all gone. These are $14000 CDN for both. Figured price wasn't too bad considering the mileage and bumpers/winches

Anything I should pay close attention to?
Are the odometers pretty tamper proof? (Don't know this guy)
Thanks

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had a 2010 850 Touring and loved it.. 4 years and 3000k's without a single problem.. I know more about the 850 than the 550 but some of the changes were universal between the two.. They changed the rear upper a-arm in 2011which eliminated the need for 2 grease zerks that the 09 & 10's have.. 2011 and up.. 19 grease zerks - 09 and 2010 have 21.. They reoriented the power steering unit in 2011 as well I believe which allowed for a larger gas tank.. In 2012, the 850 got larger throttle bodies and a new airbox which pumped up the HP from 70 in 09-10&11 to 77hp from 2012 onward.. 2011 in particular seemed to be the year that suffered most from the "oil in the airbox" problem.. Its an easy fix though if the 850 develops the problem.. There have been a few other changes that I'm sure others will be able to provide the specifics for..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hopefully I can help. I have a 2011 850 and my dad has a 2010 550.

Gas tank size was smaller on 09-10. The 10 is either 4.5 or 4.75. My 11 is 5.25 gallons. The 11 also added some more splash protection (partially in the form of a bigger gas tank.)

I did have the oil in the airbox problem but was able to get the fix it kit from my dealer for free. No problems since.

There are a few other changes that shouldn't really matter to you. The seat material is different between our two XPs. And there is a difference in the way our side plastics are put on. They overlap a little different. Nothing crazy.

Not sure how the prices are in your area and whatnot, but I would jump at the chance to buy 2 ready to ride XPs.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ seat material differences seem to be determined by what model you bought. is either one a Browning edition or some sort of special edition.

if you go look at my local dealer. the Xp's have one seat and the XP's with the browning edition or the new 850WV have a different style seat. loks and feels to be more slip resistant.

·
Registered
94 Posts
^ seat material differences seem to be determined by what model you bought. is either one a Browning edition or some sort of special edition.

if you go look at my local dealer. the Xp's have one seat and the XP's with the browning edition or the new 850WV have a different style seat. loks and feels to be more slip resistant.
I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure so I didn't want to say it if I was wrong. Ya, mine's an Orange Madness LE. So that could be the reason for the difference.

Not really something that should impact a purchase decision.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The others have hit most of the differences. I have an 09 550 and a 10 850. Both have been rock solid and trouble free. I'm the second owner on both. Access to the rear clutch area is difficult on the 2009, made easier by 2010 and since, so that's a plus for both your potential machines. Both my machines had pretty rough engagement in the clutching. I recently put in the QSC kit in the 850 and it's baby smooth now. I understand the newer machines are smoother, but you'll save more than the cost of clutch kit buying used.

Those are both very low mileage machines. I'd say inspect them closely and if they pass, buy without fear. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
We have a 2012 850 xp and a 2013 550 xp and love them both. Thats a good deal. Buy them! You wont regret it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts