Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning great people of this country, last night as I went to leave a nice firework show close to my home I had no lights.
Go thing god gave us a full moon last night.
Went through the cluster diag. mode just now and volts good, as are all other reading. Did find out that I can start my machine in all gears without brake applied, it's not supposed to do that. Any help on where to look would be good.
Fuses good

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
What's the VIN?

Wiring is different between carb, EFI, X2, Touring and international models

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Only fuse on the lights is the main fuse - if everything else works, you lost power at the LH switch - probably a bad connection where the wiring harness plugs into the switch - power goes in on the red/blk wire and comes out on the red/wht wire - red/wht goes to a couple of splices where it is divided to the speedo, AWD switch, key switch where it is connected to the starter when the key is turned to start, it goes to the chassis relay, to the fuse block where it passes through a 20 amp fuse and connects to the org/wht accessory wire, CDI unit and the 15 amp fuse - the other side of the fuse is red/yel wire - red/yel goes to a splice where it is divided to the tail light, and back to the LH switch - at the LH switch it connects to the head light switch.

If you lost both head and tail lights, the fuse blew or you have a bad connection at the red/yel splice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fuse is good, would a bad connection cause it to start in any gear without brake applied?

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
No - but a shorted brake, neutral or park diode might do both

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First thing first, thanks for the help.
Do you have an idea of where these diodes are located. I looked in headlight pod and did not see them. What it looks like to me is best to take front cover all off and start splitting loom. If so might have to wait, 97degrees is a little warm to be doing that after 14 hr day at work.:(

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
I believe they are under the front cover near the fuse block, but I am not certain - I am suggesting the possibility of a shorted diode causing the problem - the diodes are part of the wiring harness and are not replaceable - if you are not a qualified technician, then I suggest you take it to someone who is for correct diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
Hey bud can you hear the pressure switch click when you press the hand brake? Its a mechanical pressure switch on the bulk head that all the brake lines tie into. Just by pulling the lever you should hear it click in and out as you press and release the hand brake. Requires no power so it can be done with the machine off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I can hear the switch, Polaris has replacement diodes for these. Just have to find them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found diodes, under clutch cover breather tube. Ran test on all three with Digital multimeters with diode tester and came up with 417,417,430 on display. in just one direction, OL in the other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After pretty much stripping my atv, finally found the problem. Was using test light to power in an out of fuse block. Light was on. Followed latebirds advice and started checking voltage at splice junctions, 7.8 volts. Checked block fuse spade had a coating on plastic on it. About 95% .pulled spade out cleaned with a very small file, all lights work. Thanks to all for the help :)

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
Sorry - I was getting ready with another suggestion, got interrupted and never completed my thoughts or suggestion.

Glad to hear you found the problem - if it ever comes down to it, I have replacement fuse blocks and terminals for the wires. Fill the fuse block with dielectric grease and you might eliminate or greatly reduce the connectivity problems caused by water getting into the connections.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts