Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a little surprise/shock today, went to unload my 11 800 Sportsman into my garage today and when I put it it gear it would barely move

It only has about 60 hours on it total and no plowing/towing or anything like that. Few times I have pulled utility trailer it is in low

Mostly used for deer hunting only so it sits A LOT.

It has been sitting on my trailer since I loaded it up last week other than one hunt where I rode it to my stand and back

Everything was fine then with ZERO issues

I have had a Polaris since my 96 425 mag was new so familiar with them and the belts but not sure if that is what this is or not

Is there any easy way to tell or does this sound like a belt, all the riding I did on my old 425(hard riding too LOL) only one time did I have an issue with a belt and seems like that was the way that one did

I did roll it off the trailer this am, put it in neutral, to unhook my trailer and runs some errands with my truck. Anything that I did there would cause this??

Also I did get extended warranty but if it is a belt I have local mechanic(dealership is 40 minutes away) but does the extended warranty cover belts.

All maint has been done according to manual, like I stated very little use at all

Thanks for any help

If it is just a belt I have a local guy that is one of my clients and will drop what he is doing and jump on it right away if that is all it is

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you washed it off lately? Water in clutch housing?
No I have not, still had mud on tires from last hunt. Main reason it stayed on the trailer however we did have some heavy rain and it was left uncovered which NEVER happens but kind of caught me off guard this time with the Holiday's and all.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
IIRC if the belt is wet just put in neutral and run for like 15-20 minutes and rev some and it will dry it out. You might want to pull the drain plug as well on clutch housing. If this doesn't work I would probably inspect the belt by taking the housing off of it. This should in no way affect warranty.

Not sure if this is still the case but when I bought by 700 there was a lifetime warranty on at least the 1st belt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC if the belt is wet just put in neutral and run for like 15-20 minutes and rev some and it will dry it out. You might want to pull the drain plug as well on clutch housing. If this doesn't work I would probably inspect the belt by taking the housing off of it. This should in no way affect warranty.

Not sure if this is still the case but when I bought by 700 there was a lifetime warranty on at least the 1st belt.
Thanks

I will try that and now and see what happens

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

THANKS

Let it run in neutral for about 10 minutes and that seemed to help, was able to take a spin around the block

Gonna let it run another 10 min or so and try it again

Must have been all the rain we had while I left it on my trailer uncovered

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sounds like you either have moisture on the belt or a worn belt. If it keeps up, start by replacing the belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts