Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's 850 has less than 5 hrs on it and every once in a while it will backfire out the exhaust when he lets off the throttle. The quad runs greats, never misses or stalls out. He called the dealer and they said that he probably has a fouled plug due to the fuel system running after the machine is shut-off, WTF?! What is running after machine is shut off, the fuel pump, that doesn't matter unless the injector is open and allowing fuel to enter the cylinder. Anyways, I called BS on the the dealers statement but I still don't know why it is backfiring. I figured that it was probably a timing issue but not sure. Any of you ever experienced this problem?

·
Registered
295 Posts
backfiring is normal on all 850's when new and breaking in this will go away when more hours and miles are put on the bike. mine did it as well as alot of others from this forum.
the dealer is full of BS on that call in my opinion. enjoy the bike they are great fun

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that sounds about right. I have a 2011 850 as well and it back fired twice on me when it was brand new, the firt 5 miles I put on it. Hopefully his will stop pretty soon. Appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 2011 850xp does the same thing. less than 20 hrs on it. hope it goes away soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i've got 600 miles on mine and it still pops once in a while brought it in and was told there was notning wrong

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine did it a lot when new, but with 375 miles it very rarely will pop when letting off the throttle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine, 2011 850 Touring did it for a first month and never did it again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
my neighbor has a kingquad 450 that does it every once in a while, of course it's while I'm folowing him through some downhill technical area and scares the shee-ite out of me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My friend's CanAm scares the hell out of me every time we ride, it's so loud that I start thinking it'm from mine again. But he's too lazy to adjust his carb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts