Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’ve been having an issue with my 2011 850 as of lately. It seems that once it gets hot it limits itself in both power and rpm (sounds like you’re in reverse without depressing the override button). It does this whether it is in reverse or a forward gear. If I put it in neutral or park it revs just fine and sounds like full power until I place it back into gear. It’s been an intermittent issue the last few weeks. However, yesterday I had to be towed in as it decided to do it again. This time after cutting out for a short period of time, the bike lost complete engine power. At this point the starter wouldn’t even turn over although the bike still had power on the cluster. Once we got home (a couple miles away) it seemed it cooled enough and started/ran like nothing was ever wrong. I’m thinking a possible relay or something getting hot but don’t have the knowledge that some of you may.

One person recommended cleaning throttle position sensor, I figure it doesn’t hurt so I’ll do that soon although I don’t feel that’ll be the solution.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I think you should check the charging system - sounds like the battery is going dead while running - a good battery will recover when the load is removed, but if it is not recharged to full capacity, it will go bad from a constant state of discharge

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 700. Replacing the fuel pump did the trick
So as in my case, a good fuel pressure test can fool you :eek. It did me and it fooled the ATV mechanic I took my 08 PS 500 to at first. Only when the fuel pump finally quit did he find it was a bad fuel pump assembly.

He showed it to me when I went and picked up the ATV and it looked like it had been laying in a junk pile a couple years. All the insulation was off the wiring and the fuel tubes would just crumble if you barely touched them with your finger,also the metal part of the fuel assembly had quite a bit of rust. He said I don't know how in the world this thing would even start up and idle perfect from the looks of this fuel pump assembly. Culprit he said is this ethanol fuel we have to use. Ethanol fuel is the :devil. I don't think the previous owner of my 08 PS 500 ever used any fuel conditioner.

Tony

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
I liking the suggestions of chking battery condition, load test it. Also I would run a volt meter across the battery terminals to chk the the charging system. You'll be looking for 13.5-14.5 vdc with the engine running at 3,000rpm. This of course needs to be done after the battery has been load tested and deemed good. Then I would check fuel pressure. Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the plugs and have a look-see. Bad ignition wires will cause those symptoms you're experiencing also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the recommendations! I’ll get on that and post back my findings hopefully in the next few days. Another person also suggested maybe a bad thermostat? I can kind of see the relevance here but didn’t think these ECU’s were that smart to shut itself down if it detected overheating. The reason I didn’t rule this out is my buddy noticed the hot light was on when he was tinkering with it although I’m fairly confident it wasn’t actually overheating.

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Well the machine will go into limp mode if it running "HOT". That'll feel exactly like going in reverse without the override button depressed!!

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
If that's the case make sure your radiator is super clean!!! Use a flashlight to see how obstructed it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts