Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a quick search but there weren't as many results as I was expecting and I didn't find anything that I felt was extremely helpful. Anyway, as mentioned, it's a 2011 which has sat for about 3 weeks. I went to move it today and it sounds like only one cylinder is firing and was WAY down on power when I took it for a quick spin. The bike has 20.3 hours for whatever that may be worth. I'm sure most will say plugs. I also read some similar issues on 700's which had low fuel pressure and apparently cut a cylinder out, what's the easiest way to check fuel pressure on here? What are some other things to check for?

When something fails (automotive) I'm generally used to being able to pull codes and go from there. I'm not even getting a CEL.

I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
455 Posts
start with the simple things. make sure you have spark on both cylinders.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Run compression test.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
VERY common to foul a plug on an 850. specially if you don't let them get warmed up good. Start simple and replace the plugs and check for spark on both.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
VERY common to foul a plug on an 850. specially if you don't let them get warmed up good. Start simple and replace the plugs and check for spark on both.
What he said!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Definately check out the plugs on it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whelp, pulled the plugs and of course they were nasty. I decided to take a wire brush to them and stick them back in and she runs great. I'm gonna pick up some plugs this week and I'll keep a few extra on hand of course. I didn't expect the plugs to foul easily on the newer machines so I guess that's why I kind of blew off that thought. Live and learn once again!

I appreciate the responses everybody.

Brian

·
Registered
455 Posts
The xp need to warm up good before you ride and quick starting them up and shutting them off is very hard on plugs

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you happen to have a model number for the NGK's?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Some say plugs foul easily on the 850. Others say the champions are junk.

I have 1600 miles on my 850 and I run it. I do not let it warm up. I start it and flog the throttle after backing out of the garage (about 1 to 2 minutes backing out).

I know I will get blasted for this by some of you.

I put in one set of new plugs, why, cause everyone on here said they replace plugs all the time. The old ones had 1200 miles on them and worked fine. Yes, champions went back in. There is no way I will waste money on "special plugs". I also dont use gas additives during the riding months. Gas doesn't stay in it long enough to need treated.

Am I gonna blow my engine running the way I do??? I know I don't foul plugs.

When it was new it got super hard to shift. I always warmed it up back then.

I was told that letting it idle would flat spot the belt. I was also told that the belt having a flat spot was the problem with it shifting.

I put in a whole new clutch and shazam.., Shifted fine and I stopped warming it up. (only 200 miles on the machine when I replaced the clutch)

I know engines should be warmed up.. As do transmissions and the like but on my 850 I stopped doing it.

Why did I replace the whole clutch? Because I went to 3 dealers and none of the service managers had any idea what they were talking about. At $100.00 per hour I figured I saved a pile of money replacing the whole thing myself.

Just Saying...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the NGK Iridium ILZKAR7A10 for it and be done with junk spark plugs. Thats what I run with no issues. I do the same as you getting out of my garage..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried doing a quick search but there weren't as many results as I was expecting and I didn't find anything that I felt was extremely helpful. Anyway, as mentioned, it's a 2011 which has sat for about 3 weeks. I went to move it today and it sounds like only one cylinder is firing and was WAY down on power when I took it for a quick spin. The bike has 20.3 hours for whatever that may be worth. I'm sure most will say plugs. I also read some similar issues on 700's which had low fuel pressure and apparently cut a cylinder out, what's the easiest way to check fuel pressure on here? What are some other things to check for?

When something fails (automotive) I'm generally used to being able to pull codes and go from there. I'm not even getting a CEL.

Were you able to fix it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was it a ecu issue?
[/QUOTE]
I have a 2016 polaris 850 sportsman
With it only getting spark on one wire not at both time?

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
ecu is the computer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts