Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been doing some reading on these forums as I see others have had similar issues to what I am having but I'm still not getting anywhere so hoping someone has some ideas for me. I'm not a mechanic and I'm definitely not an electrician! My knowledge is limited when it comes to wiring but I try!

The 20A drive fuse (which is also for the winch) blows as soon as I switch the ignition to "on". When I disconnect the four wire connector to the adc/awd coils behind the left front wheel the fuse does not blow. Thanks to this forum, I checked the coils and I have 24.4 ohms to the awd coil and 13.3 to the adc coil which are ok, from what I've read. I've inspected the wiring to and from that four wire connector and can't find any damaged wiring. I had a second throttle switch assembly so I plugged that in and no difference. I was thinking one of the coils might be shorting intermittently but I don't think that's the case as that fuse pops immediately upon switching to so long as that connector is together.

Does anyone have any other ideas for me that may help? I've been messing with this for a few days now and am really frustrated! One time while messing with it, everything started working so I went for a little spin; it lasted about five minutes and then went back to the same way. I used as much info from here as I could without posing in an attempt not to clog up the boards with duplicate content but I just don't know where to go next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone is interested, I did some more digging. Found that in the lower section of the four prong plug, on one of the outside wires (one of the ones to the ADC coil), I had 13 ohms to ground. I checked all of that wiring, only about a foot or so long, and all was good. I suspect the ADC coil is shorted. I wanted to use the quad this weekend and didn't have time to fix it properly so I took a chance.

I cut the two supply wires, the two outside wires in the four pin connector, to the ADC coil and taped them up. I figured I was going to have a check engine light but hoped my AWD would work. AWD works like a charm and no check engine light. I jacked up all four wheels and ran it in AWD to confirm that all was working as it should Dropped it and went for a half our or so test drive flipping it into and out of 4WD continually and testing the winch. All good, no check engine light. I did not chance flipping the switch to 4WD ADC as I wasn't sure what would happen and I didn't feel it was worth risking a fault come up that I may not be able to clear.

My hope was to use the quad this weekend and fix it when I got back but now I'm thinking I might just leave it like that. I've always felt the ADC was a bit of a silly novelty anyway. I think I've maybe used it once or twice in five or so years of owning the machine.

Happy Camper here!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts